Hello from Orlando- Newb

Mako254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone from Orlando. I'm totally green behind the ears on reefing. After 20 years in the military I'm finally able to start a hobbie I've been wanting to do for a very long time. So, being excited about this is an understatment. I know so little, I'm still not close to knowing what I don't know :). This is my current plan-

Currently building a house and have designed the house so the aquarium will be built inside a wall and share the view with two rooms. Planning on a 150g (72"x18"x23"). House won't be done until summer 2025 so thinking of getting the aquarium now and setting up in our current place with a temnporary stand that will replicate the space etc in the wall where it will go and try and have a successful 1 year tank that I then transfer to the new location when house is complete.

Outside the above I've been watching video after video on BRS and want to avoid as many mistakes as possible :). After over 20 years wanting to start this I consider myself pretty patient and hopefully can follow a lot of the guidance I've taken notes on thus far. Looking forward to sharing and learning here!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone from Orlando. I'm totally green behind the ears on reefing. After 20 years in the military I'm finally able to start a hobbie I've been wanting to do for a very long time. So, being excited about this is an understatment. I know so little, I'm still not close to knowing what I don't know :). This is my current plan-

Currently building a house and have designed the house so the aquarium will be built inside a wall and share the view with two rooms. Planning on a 150g (72"x18"x23"). House won't be done until summer 2025 so thinking of getting the aquarium now and setting up in our current place with a temnporary stand that will replicate the space etc in the wall where it will go and try and have a successful 1 year tank that I then transfer to the new location when house is complete.

Outside the above I've been watching video after video on BRS and want to avoid as many mistakes as possible :). After over 20 years wanting to start this I consider myself pretty patient and hopefully can follow a lot of the guidance I've taken notes on thus far. Looking forward to sharing and learning here!!
Welcome to R2R
land ho pirate GIF by Super Simple

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello and welcome to R2R!! Those BRS videos will help you a lot. One BRS recommendation I can very much validate is the idea of leaving the lights off for the first 4 months. I left mine off for 3.5 months and I had no ugly stage whatsoever. (knocks on wood) It is WELL worth the wait and fish do not need light. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your tank build thread.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back