Hello from the North West suburbs of Chicago

TRIGGERFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years and boy how things have changed. Reefs were just getting going then, I had two 55G fish only tanks, each had two Marineland 350's loaded with Chemipure pushing two BioWheels on each tank made for the 350's, a heater and a hang on the back Red Sea skimmer. I used Instant Ocean Salt and premixed tap water into a 30 gallon garbage pail with a Aquapure 200 hanging on the side for movement and airation and did a 20% water change every two weeks. My levels were all well within spec. Lighting was the real week point. Nothing "good" except MH was around then and it was very expensive. So it was mfg hoods with florescent tubes - not good. When we moved I got ride of it. I gave my 12 year old Blue Tang and 2 large Clown fish to a friend of mine and gave the tanks and equipment to a local school.

I am thinking about getting back in, however I'm retired and money is an issue. If I do I think I will go with one of the complete set up like Marineland or Oceanic - 28/29 gallon. It will come with pretty much everything need to set up a combo reef/fish tank. I would for sure add a skimmer, which I don't know, the Octopus seems to mentioned quite a bit here with positive results. I want maintenance free as much as possible.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back buddy!

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to R2R! Great place to be! I am in the sw Chicago burbs and I just broke down a 28jbj nano and set up a 57 gallon illuminata. I had a lot of fun with my 28 jbj nano. If you're interested I would be willing to sell it and I have a tunze 9001 skimmer that fits in the back. Once set up its pretty easy to maintain. Good luck to you and again, welcome to R2R!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back