Hello From Upstate New York

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
images5JNI4QOV.jpg

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise. Like you, I started with a nano...about 2 months ago--an 8 gallon Fluval EBI originally designed for shrimp, but has rounded front corners like a biocube.

In the past 2 months I've bought a 29 gal biocube, 25 gal rimless cube, and today a 26 gallon c-vue from Cobalt showed up on my doorstep... this hobby tends to suck you in, when you go "just a little bigger"....then justify getting a different light, skimmer, blah blah.

At least you've started with a 16. I think that's a better starting point than I had.

Since lighting typically costs more than the tank...I started with an Aquaknight A029, then a wifi black box, AI prime HD, and finally just sucked it up and bought a Hydra 26, make sure the 16 is something you're comfortable keeping around because buyers remorse is more expensive if you have to upgrade your lighting for the next tank.
how did the aqua knight work out? I actually purchased the same light.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gonna love this place. The most helpful forum to be a part of I think. Also from the area in south glens falls.
Yeah everyone seems great. Nice to meet another local!

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Lots of good info here-

I’m another upstater- just a tad north of Syracuse

looks like a lot of us are peppered around the region.

I was in Syracuse today. Hoppy, are you from the Central Square area, or further north like Pulaski or Watertown?

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did the aqua knight work out? I actually purchased the same light.

I have to say, not bad. Running the blues at about 7-8, and whites around 2-3 are decent.

Which version did you get? The Sanrise aquaknight that you can get from Premium Aquatics (through them on amazon since its cheaper than their website *on the day I bought it*), is what I'd prefer if I were you as the one they ship is an original Sanrise (large company) and the "plus" version....which has an on/off button...and believe me if you had them both you'll prefer that switch. They increased a little in price though, it was 66 bucks when I bought it which was worth the extra 6 bucks over the Hipargero version without the on/off switch.

I would have kept the unit from premium aquatics, but it had been used and I'm old fashioned when it comes to buying new-I want to be the 1st to crack the box. The price was raised the day before I sent the unit back, so I just went with the Hipargero vs. being rewarded with the honor of paying more to replace it.

It will drive you batchit crazy to touch both the white and the blue dimmers at once to turn it on/off. I've had to try 20+ times. But, if you run a timer, you don't have to screw with it daily.

The Hipargero version seems to be an exact copy, or even the original model just picked up by them, or for all I know it is them operating under a different name to capitalize on the productiin run after it was discontinued by Sanrise/Spectra officially....who knows. Although side by side the boxes have minor differences in how the design was printed, but that doesnt necessarily mean its a knock off...seems legit (I even used a microscope to look at the leds to see if they were genuine cree) Look them up btw, really cool stuff just like AI, but you don't really see them advertised.

So yes, I like the light for what it is. How are you going to mount it, under the hood with velcro? Ive never had the fan kick on btw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, not bad. Running the blues at about 7-8, and whites around 2-3 are decent.

Which version did you get? The Sanrise aquaknight that you can get from Premium Aquatics (through them on amazon since its cheaper than their website *on the day I bought it*), is what I'd prefer if I were you as the one they ship is an original Sanrise (large company) and the "plus" version....which has an on/off button...and believe me if you had them both you'll prefer that switch. They increased a little in price though, it was 66 bucks when I bought it which was worth the extra 6 bucks over the Hipargero version without the on/off switch.

I would have kept the unit from premium aquatics, but it had been used and I'm old fashioned when it comes to buying new-I want to be the 1st to crack the box. The price was raised the day before I sent the unit back, so I just went with the Hipargero vs. being rewarded with the honor of paying more to replace it.

It will drive you batchit crazy to touch both the white and the blue dimmers at once to turn it on/off. I've had to try 20+ times. But, if you run a timer, you don't have to screw with it daily.

The Hipargero version seems to be an exact copy, or even the original model just picked up by them, or for all I know it is them operating under a different name to capitalize on the productiin run after it was discontinued by Sanrise/Spectra officially....who knows. Although side by side the boxes have minor differences in how the design was printed, but that doesnt necessarily mean its a knock off...seems legit (I even used a microscope to look at the leds to see if they were genuine cree) Look them up btw, really cool stuff just like AI, but you don't really see them advertised.

So yes, I like the light for what it is. How are you going to mount it, under the hood with velcro? Ive never had the fan kick on btw.
I unfortunatnatly bought the version that does not have the on/off switch. Other than that the light seems good enough for now. As for mounting... I used the overhead bracket it came with, looking pretty nice on my setup. One thing I don't understand is how to adjust the blue or white to a specific setting. I assumed it was just basically eyeballing.

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For figuring out the blue to white ratio, eyeballing it is about all you can do. They both should have 10 power levels, so you can count how many times you've tapped each to get to the setting and thats about as precise as it comes with this one.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For figuring out the blue to white ratio, eyeballing it is about all you can do. They both should have 10 power levels, so you can count how many times you've tapped each to get to the setting and thats about as precise as it comes with this one.
okay thats what I figured. Sounds like it should work out nicely

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it’s been a while does anyone have any new feedback on the 30w aqua knight LEDs? I’m looking at getting a couple for a future build. I’d like LPS and maybe an SPS or two later on down the road. The tank will be either a Nuvo 20g AIO or a coraife biocube 32g for reference.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back