Hello World!

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
This is just another typical hello thread :)
Ive been in the freshwater hobby for atleest 17 years, i couldn't have the standard dog or cat as a pet due to allergies to i ended up with fish and plants :) Im from the UK (Wales) and i currently work in horticulture.
So ive finally decided to take the plunge, after many years of wanting a coral reef tank but being to scared to try ive got myself a 30"x30"x24"(LxWxH). I actually purchased a large 6 x 2 x 2.5 tank late 17? to use as a reef tank but after tearing apart my 5 other fresh water systems and sitting on a empty tank for a year i decided to turn it back into one of my boring planted aquariums. Not 2 months in i was regretting it, so here i am trying to limit myself to this new SW tank and 2 fresh water tanks :)

Wish me luck on my first SW tank, ill make a build thread over on the "cube" section :)

Kind regards, TinCanHero

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

906DB0AB-6261-42D1-8E3E-3D067D48C45E.jpeg

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you will really enjoy saltwater and your freshwater tanks. I was a bit hesitant at first, but the testing is simple and the information and support from this forum is fantastic. Makes it easier than you can imaging. Looking forward to your build thread.

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks for the great welcome! its nice to see a "old school" active forum like this :)

Welcome to R2R, you will really enjoy saltwater and your freshwater tanks. I was a bit hesitant at first, but the testing is simple and the information and support from this forum is fantastic. Makes it easier than you can imaging. Looking forward to your build thread.

Thanks, Im forever watching you tube video's of reef tanks, hopefully i can stare at mine now :)
Ill start the build thread tomorrow, seems im just a few L of RODI short of filling it today :)

Welcome to the party. How are the stores out there where you live? I believe there was a member not long ago that said he was from Ireland and mentioned the pickings are slim.

Everyone welcome TinCanHero....

Hey! thanks for the welcome, and i love the gif! :)
Youre right, there isn't much around here. There are some maidenhead aquatics (national chain) stores close by but i wouldn't touch anything from them, there is also a few aquatic stores with in 50 miles that stock SW stuff. a few again i wouldn't touch, one im surprised is still open. only 2 stores are any good, coast aquatics for dry goods and equipment, there fish are also pretty good, just expensive the coral on the other hand is pretty poor. They had a 4?ft cube tank full of the most dull zoas ive ever seen, a few nice bits in other tanks but again quite expensive. another good store is rocks and critters they have had the best coral i have seen so far, again a little expensive but not bad. there was one other store around 70 miles away that had nice coral, just not to much stock.
All in all i think ill be using the web to order, seems cheaper and i cut out fuel and time costs. ive found a few "good" sites like https://jbsmarines.co.uk and http://mailordercorals.com if anyone knows of some others that would be great! :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back