Help: Both of my clownfish eyes are swollen, hard breathing and not eating much.

Izzy_xxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both my clownfish, a blue tang, and green spotted puffer in a QT tank for a month now after i noticed ick on the blue tang. After 2-3 weeks, all seems healthy and eating well as normal. But recently, i noticed both of my clownfish eyes are swollen, not eating, lethargic, heavy breathing but no discoloration. My blue tang seems to have patches of discoloration, scratching but eating very well and active. Could this be velvet/Brooklynella or bacterial infection? What should i do? I am more worried on the clownfish as they are not eating.
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your fish troubles - while we wait for the experts here, the link below has a list of info you can give to help with the diagnosis of the fish:
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both my clownfish, a blue tang, and green spotted puffer in a QT tank for a month now after i noticed ick on the blue tang. After 2-3 weeks, all seems healthy and eating well as normal. But recently, i noticed both of my clownfish eyes are swollen, not eating, lethargic, heavy breathing but no discoloration. My blue tang seems to have patches of discoloration, scratching but eating very well and active. Could this be velvet/Brooklynella or bacterial infection? What should i do? I am more worried on the clownfish as they are not eating.
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While we are waiting on more complete information, I wanted to rule out one possible issue. It is pretty rare for two fish to each have both of their eyes protrude like that at the same time. One possible cause of that is gas supersaturation in the water. Is you aquarium set up with pumps that could possibly be sucking in air under pressure? A leak in the suction side hose can do that, so can a sump that gets too low.

Jay

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like gas bubble disease instead of popeye or an injury. Doesn’t look like a parasite to me, other than the ich (which could be showing up due to the stress from the other issue). I think Jay is right.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact that the fish has other symptoms in addition to the eye issue (and can the OP clarify - does the tang also have swollen eyes? the puffer?) - maybe I'm reading it incorrectly - but what it seems like you're trying to say is that you have one clown fish - and both eyes are swollen?

If so - that would suggest a disease issue - flukes, etc. You said the fish have been in QT - are you treating them with anything? The heavy breathing could signify another parasite, etc.

If I misread your post, apologies - but as others have said more information would be helpful?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back