Help building a sump

bbandu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I am upgrading to a 150g and decided to build my own sump. The problem I am having is that I not sure how far to space the baffles apart. I would also like to include a refuguim.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how far the baffles should be apart.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen is they are usually 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart... If they are too close you end up with too much current pulling bubbles through.

OP
OP
B

bbandu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-1/2" apart for best flow and easy maintenance... I can help ya in the morning..;)
Sorry guys just super busy....:(

that would be super, trying to get everything done, want to set the tank up by next week

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I used 2 x 4 lumber scraps for spacers in mine. I just took the sump tank and stood it on one end, found something that would work for the space I needed for my return pump space and placed it in. Then put the first baffle on it and siliconed it in. Then placed a 2 x 4 and next baffle in and siliconed it in. Next another 2x4 and baffle to finish the baffles. Then I figured out how much space I would need for my skimmer, heater, drain pipe, and carbon filter and then found a spacer big enough to go from the baffles to my skimmer compartment, the middle space is now my refugium.

The whole process took me about 45 min to build a 40g sump with refugium.

OP
OP
B

bbandu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I used 2 x 4 lumber scraps for spacers in mine. I just took the sump tank and stood it on one end, found something that would work for the space I needed for my return pump space and placed it in. Then put the first baffle on it and siliconed it in. Then placed a 2 x 4 and next baffle in and siliconed it in. Next another 2x4 and baffle to finish the baffles. Then I figured out how much space I would need for my skimmer, heater, drain pipe, and carbon filter and then found a spacer big enough to go from the baffles to my skimmer compartment, the middle space is now my refugium.

The whole process took me about 45 min to build a 40g sump with refugium.

Do you think that you could post some pics of it for me. I would really appreciate it.

bulkhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space them well enough to get your hands between them to clean or retrieve that O-ring you dropped :p

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything less than an inch because you might lose something :p I forgot, on my second build, to create bubble baffles and just had two pieces of glass dividing the sump into 3 areas... I get a few micro bubbles in the display but its not bad.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back