Help? Cycled too fast?

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve recently started to cycle my tank with Fritz Turbo Start 900, and Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride. My tank is 20 gallons, and I’m pretty sure I dosed correctly. On the first day, I poured in a 1oz of the Fritz, and enough of the ammonium chloride (80 drops). On the second day I tested, and dosed 64 drops of the ammonium chloride. I just tested today (3rd day) and ammonia is testing 0.25-0ppm, and nitrites are at 0.
IMG_4653.jpeg

I know API isn’t the best, but I think it should still be detecting some ammonia or nitrite? Is my cycle done? Should I dose some more ammonium chloride?
PS.. I tested twice and the results were the same both times

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has cycled. It can happen that quickly in a small tank for sure. Just go slowly when adding livestock and you’ll be okay.
I only wanted to add 2 Darwin Clownfish for my total stocking (plus CUC.) I just to make sure, can I add a pair? Or should I introduce one?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I did the recommended amount of drops both times?
Yes, but the ammonia turns into ammonia-nitrites-nitrates. Each conversion adds ppm if that makes sense. You will end up with alot more nitrates then ammonia in the tank. Nitrates don't go away unless there is tons of algae and or macroalgae, or you do large water changes. 10ppm is far to little.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, but the ammonia turns into ammonia-nitrites-nitrates. Each conversion adds ppm if that makes sense. You will end up with alot more nitrates then ammonia in the tank. Nitrates don't go away unless there is tons of algae and or macroalgae, or you do large water changes. 10ppm is far to little.
I only wanted to add 2 Darwin Clownfish for my total stocking (plus CUC.) I just to make sure, can I add a pair? Or should I introduce one?
I think a pair of clowns should be fine. Just monitor for first couple of weeks since it cycled so quickly but all should be well.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of clowns should be fine. Just monitor for first couple of weeks since it cycled so quickly but all should be well.
I agree. I am just stumped how there is barely any nitrates. OP, I assume you are doing the test wrong. The API nitrate test is very tedious with lots of shaking and waiting.

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am just stumped how there is barely any nitrates. OP, I assume you are doing the test wrong. The API nitrate test is very tedious with lots of shaking and waiting.
I don’t know either. I just did what the instructions said. I added ten drops of the first bottle, then shook the second bottle vigorously for 30 seconds, then added ten drops to the tube. I shook the tube for a minute. And then I waited five minutes

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back