[Help]dissapearing anemones in sps tank

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this isn't so much a help thread as much as it is just me wondering what the heck is wrong with my tank that anemones don't thrive.
Background, started this tank originally 2014 and 6 months in it was a thriving mixed reef. I found an awesome deal on rbta's and picked out the healthiest specimen. This nem was gorgeous and thrived in my tank for another 6 months until I moved and had to move the tank to my new house.

I decided to go a new route and switched to an sps dominant reef, all was well for the first 3 months and the nem was happy, eating, growing and then it started splitting! Then it started to dissapear? One day there would be a healthy beautiful nem and the next day it would be splitting and then the third day there would be no sign of either like they just melted away. The last nem dissapeared two weeks ago and after rearranging my rockwork last night I am now %100 they are not hiding in the back or underneath.

My parameters:
Alk 9.3 dkh
Calc 440
Magnesium 1410
Temp 81
Nitrates less than 5ppm
Phos undectable, my tank just eats them, I don't even rinse my mysis anymore.
Amm 0

Stats in old tank were identical.

The only thing that changed is the removal of almost all lps and the maroon clown which the rbta use to host.

Also no evidence of them walking into powerheads

Any input is appreciated

OP
OP
masssnapz

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same pumps as before and light was increased but very slowly over a few months. At first the nem went lower in the tank but eventually they came back to the light on their own.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is I have had 3 anemone's and this last one was on it way out like the rest. I have been feed this last one shrimp every other day and boy the pig is coming back:). I do have a maroon hosting and th maroon is also try to feed it but not doing a good job.

Parameters
Alk 8.2
Ca 450
Mg 1340
Po4 .o4 ppm
No3 4 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.3 to 78.5

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back