Help. Don’t know why my anemone looks like this

Elliesaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 with stock lights
My water conditions are fine with salinity, ph, amonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all in tact.
my temperature does fluctuate but only by a fee degrees. He was happy at the bottom and then start to get all stringy so i moved him on a rock and he hasn’t bubbled. I fed him frozen krill after letting it thaw and give him frozen daphnia that also is thawed and put in syringe . I put him all the way up to the highest point in my tank but still no bubbling up. Got him on 08/14/2020. Not sure if my lights need to be stronger or not. If they do please send links of what ones to get

E59DC0D5-1E8A-4169-AECD-A93832535A38.jpeg BA69D594-B6FA-4A06-8FAF-2AB14D4B9540.png

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to let him acclimate and probably not feed him. He probably doesn’t have enough light, but not sure what light to point you to with a bio cube.. you got any flow other then the return ?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. Sorry it's about a problem, but that's part of why we are here and willing to try and help.

1tlr1p.gif

Bubble tip anemones do not always have bubbles at the end of their tentacles. But that said, yours does not look good. And I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but it's the best way for us to better understand your situation.

How long has the tank been set up?

Assuming it's fairly new, how long ago was the nitrogen cycle done?

You say your water parameters are OK. We hear that all the time, but sometimes when asked for specifics, we find an issue. What are your test levels?

You say your temp changes by a few degrees, from how low to how high?

You have 'stock' lights, but what brand is the biocube?

I assume they are leds?

Do you have any control of the lights other than on/off?

Are they on dimmers?

I assume 2 channels of mostly white and mostly blue?

What kind of power levels are you setting them at and for how long during the day?

Last edited:

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone looked like that when I did a 3 day blackout. So I assume your anemone needs stronger lights.
Can you tell us more about your lights?

My anemone pulled through btw, so from what I can see there's hope.

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome! Just as an fyi my green bta has not had bubble tips for years, they don’t always inflate them. Also, you can’t really put them where you want, they will move to find their “happy place”.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop messing with it. No moving it or feeding it for a bit.

OP
OP
Elliesaltwater

Elliesaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. Sorry it's about a problem, but that's part of why we are here and willing to try and help.

1tlr1p.gif

Bubble tip anemones do not always have bubbles at the end of their tentacles. But that said, yours does not look good. And I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but it's the best way for us to better understand your situation.

How long has the tank been set up?

Assuming it's fairly new, how long ago was the nitrogen cycle done?

You say your water parameters are OK. We hear that all the time, but sometimes when asked for specifics, we find an issue. What are your test levels?

You say your temp changes by a few degrees, from how low to how high?

You have 'stock' lights, but what brand is the biocube?

I assume they are leds?

Do you have any control of the lights other than on/off?

Are they on dimmers?

I assume 2 channels of mostly white and mostly blue?

What kind of power levels are you setting them at and for how long during the day?

1.) It has been set up for a couple months
2.) i have tested and they are in range and have had a couple professionals look at them that have been doing saltwater for 20 years and said they were fine

3.) 76°-80° farenheit is the range
4.) coralife biocube 32 with LED
5.) 24 hr cycle so stays on white light during day, switches to sunset settings so blue light slowly kicks in until blue lights are full on. Then those lights stay on for a little and then shut off for the night till morning

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.) i have tested and they are in range and have had a couple professionals look at them that have been doing saltwater for 20 years and said they were fine

5.) 24 hr cycle so stays on white light during day, switches to sunset settings so blue light slowly kicks in until blue lights are full on. Then those lights stay on for a little and then shut off for the night till morning

Generally anemones need a well established tank. A couple months is just barely enough time to have cycled properly.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a red sea 90..more than enough light. :) Should see the nemmies I have lol gigantic I'll make a video later, I got some maintenance to do tonight after work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Add blue lighting to mix and assure moderate water flow.
Feed 2x per week. Focus on water parameters. Ph range 8.0-8.3, temperature range 77-79 and Salinity 1.024-1.026

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally anemones need a well established tank. A couple months is just barely enough time to have cycled properly.
Give him some time.
Looks like your tank's lights are built into the hood, so replacing will also involve a new cover.
Get a powerhead to help with flow.
If you do decide to upgrade the light,
Ai prime 16 is a good choice.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“In range” isn’t helpful, numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alk, ph are what is helpful. How long ago did your tank finish cycling? There are some very helpful, smart people on here but they need more info to help you.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be so slow to reply, but I'm on vacation and don't have much computer time. But I can't go snorkeling this morning because there is a thunderstorm going on outside!!!

Several people have given you the same advise I would give you.

A one month old tank is not a good place for hardy anemones, lot alone a bubble tip.
A bio-cube has crap leds that are good enough for fish and easy corals. You could probably do a BTA in that tank, but at one month, it's too soon. The leds in that tank are 0.3 to 0.5 watts each. Inexpensive black box leds are typically 3.0 watts and powered to 2.2 watts, so 4 to 6 times more powerful than yours. And some people think even those led fixtures aren't good enough!

As for your water parameters, I don't care who told you they were OK. You asked us to help and if you want our help, you need to share. Saying two 'professionals' said they were OK isn't telling us anything. I assume by professionals you mean people who work at an LFS. They are not always professionals, many/most of them are sales people. And those 'professionals' should have told you that your tank is too new and your lights are probably not good enough.

Good luck and I hope you anemone recovers.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your water parameters, I don't care who told you they were OK. You asked us to help and if you want our help, you need to share. Saying two 'professionals' said they were OK isn't telling us anything. I assume by professionals you mean people who work at an LFS. They are not always professionals, many/most of them are sales people. And those 'professionals' should have told you that your tank is too new and your lights are probably not good enough.
This ^^^all day long.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back