Help Ick & secondary infectiuon what do I do?

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry: Ok here is the situation, I have a new tank that has cycled and I moved everyone into their new home. Corals are doing wonderful water quality is almost perfect, PH a little low cant figure that one out, but my fish I have had for 2 years developed Ick after one week. All I can figure that some of the new live rock I put in my new tank must of carried the parasite.

My old tank is still up and running, after moving everything out and stirring up everything the nitrate has jumped up to 10 PPM. I have been desperately trying to get the nitrate down to move all the fish back to the old tank to do a hyposalinity treatment. In the mean time the fish in my new tank have had ick for 5 days now and my Hippo Tang is getting a secondary infection on his eye, it is getting cloudy.

What do I do? Should I move the fish back to the old tank even though the nitrate is high? And how do I treat the the secondary infection on the tang? I don't think you can mix hyposalinity with any other treatment, right?

I have a third tank, my frag tank that I could empty out into my display tank and use it to treat my hippo tang. The third tank is only 20 gallons I could only put one fish in there. How do you treat a fish with Ick and a secondary infection????

HELP!!!!!!

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 ppm nitrate is no big deal, particularly for fish. I would not worry about it.

If you get rid of the ich, which is irritating the fish, the secondary infection might just go away on its own. If it does not improve, I would use a food with an antibiotic in it. Tetra used to make such a food and there used to be some drops of liquid antibiotics you could add to your regular foods. I forget the brand name, though.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are now moved to their original tank, they look much better. I am slowly lowering the salt content, not sure how fast I can lower it. I am removing and adding water a gallon at a time it seems to lower the salt content about .001 to .002 a day, can I go faster than that?

I have been soaking their food in garlic, don't know if that is what is clearing up the Ick but the fish are looking better. I have a funny feeling this could be the calm before the storm. I hate Ick!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 129 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back