Help ID Fish Please

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me ID my fish. Bought fish as a Fowerli Tang. And I'm pretty sure he isn't unless they develop there horseshoe later on and lose the spots on the tail. I'm in between a Bariene Tang and a Dussumieri Tang. The fish is around 3" I'm going to let him destress for a few days but wanted to know everyones opinion on the fish. Mine is in the first two pictures.

Thanks

IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_6244.JPG

lg38657BlackSpotTang.jpg whitespine-surgeonfish_mike-bartick.jpg lg38659FowleriTang.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just young. Because it just arrived it will be in stress colors and that has to be the worst time to try identifying fish. To me, it looks more like the picture than any of the potential variants, I would wait to make judgments for sure though.

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just young. Because it just arrived it will be in stress colors and that has to be the worst time to try identifying fish. To me, it looks more like the picture than any of the potential variants, I would wait to make judgments for sure though.
Yeah so the first picture is the real fish but even that doesn't look like a Fowerli At that point

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say you have a Barienne.

The first three pictures are of a Barienne, the last picture is a Dussumieri

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

I’d say you have a Barienne still. I’ve found they tend to have slightly spotted edges on the tail fin even as juveniles and I think I can see them in the second picture. That’s the swaying factor for me.

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

I’d say you have a Barienne still. I’ve found they tend to have slightly spotted edges on the tail fin even as juveniles and I think I can see them in the second picture. That’s the swaying factor for me.
Yeah my thoughts exactly the no Horseshoe for sure tells me its not a Fowerli that's for sure

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what a juvenile Acanthurus dussumieri looks like according to Keoki. Just be aware that coloration right when you receive it is not representative of its actual coloration due to stress. Lots of fish show white bars, darken, or lighten when stressed.

1600211192583.png

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be aware that juvenile coloration can vary drastically from adults, thus you should be comparing juvenile photos to your juvenile tang, not adult photos.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because these species can vary so much, I'd focus on key identifiers. While the horseshoe is arguably sometimes absent in smaller individuals (though not IME at 3") the dots on the tail and the blue streak at the base of the dorsal fin tell me it's most likely a bariene, not a dussumieri, and definitely not a fowleri.

IMG_6244.JPG

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what a juvenile Acanthurus dussumieri looks like according to Keoki. Just be aware that coloration right when you receive it is not representative of its actual coloration due to stress. Lots of fish show white bars, darken, or lighten when stressed.

1600211192583.png
Yeah I have one of these guys they are beautiful. I know for sure he isn't one of these.

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because these species can vary so much, I'd focus on key identifiers. While the horseshoe is arguably sometimes absent in smaller individuals (though not IME at 3") the dots on the tail and the blue streak at the base of the dorsal fin tell me it's most likely a bariene, not a dussumieri, and definitely not a fowleri.

IMG_6244.JPG
Thank you, That was why conclusion and it seems like everyone is confirming what I thought.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me ID my fish. Bought fish as a Fowerli Tang. And I'm pretty sure he isn't unless they develop there horseshoe later on and lose the spots on the tail. I'm in between a Bariene Tang and a Dussumieri Tang. The fish is around 3" I'm going to let him destress for a few days but wanted to know everyones opinion on the fish. Mine is in the first two pictures.

Thanks

IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_6244.JPG

lg38657BlackSpotTang.jpg whitespine-surgeonfish_mike-bartick.jpg lg38659FowleriTang.jpg

Can I ask how your fish has been developing? Did it ever start developing any further distinguishing marks? I have just received a "Folweri" from Liveaquaria (non-DD) that looks exactly the same and they are claiming it is a Fowleri. I'm worried it's actually a Bariene (which I don't want, too drab looking).

Dsc00192.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how your fish has been developing? Did it ever start developing any further distinguishing marks? I have just received a "Folweri" from Liveaquaria (non-DD) that looks exactly the same and they are claiming it is a Fowleri. I'm worried it's actually a Bariene (which I don't want, too drab looking).

Dsc00192.jpg
Mine is a bariene tang it was clear from the beginning. Fowerli will al ate have the horseshoe on the side

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a bariene tang it was clear from the beginning. Fowerli will al ate have the horseshoe on the side
Mine doesn't have the horseshoe but the livestock "experts" at Liveaquaria says it's a Fowleri and the horseshoe will develop with time. It also has some faint spots on the tail. I'm highly suspicious, it's already about 2.5-3".

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got that run around also, They made me wait the two weeks during the guarantee period and I contacted them the last day. They gave me my money back and a credit. My gf is a marine biologist so I took pics to her friends but I'm really good with fish so I knew before they saw. The spots on the tail are for sure bariene.
i you look at a bariene tang on there website you will see it.

OP
OP
FL Gator

FL Gator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got that run around also, They made me wait the two weeks during the guarantee period and I contacted them the last day. They gave me my money back and a credit. My gf is a marine biologist so I took pics to her friends but I'm really good with fish so I knew before they saw. The spots on the tail are for sure bariene.
i you look at a bariene tang on there website you will see it.
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 6.25.22 PM.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back