Help ID please this SLUG - Worm or just alien creature

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Odd creature ever ;Doctor ;Doctor ;Muted ;Doctor ;Doctor
Found this one on corals I bought from LFS. 1st I saw it on one Gorgonian Sea FAN and it was really strange, because the string coming out of there was over 30cm long. The issue I can have I don't DIP that particular Gorgonian, because I observe it all, and it was fully opened the polyps, and I drop it the DT, it was there very small pease of LR which I glue to bigger one to can support it on the SB. The creature was with the coral color and I wasn't able to find there is something different on the coral, that's not excuse why I don't DIP it on 1st place. After I realised there is something, I put Hydrogen Peroxide 8% solution with a syringe and after 3-4 minutes the creature fall off bubbling from the oxidation. I try to observe it in separate box, but it was look like dead (the hitchhiker).
I got next day another 2 leather corrals from the same LFS, and was keeping them in a box in the DT for 2 days to observe them properly ( the water was changed in the box per 3 hrs), and I found completely the same creature on one of them. I disturb it few times and it start to shrink and move, even I cut small fragment from it and it look like it grow new one from there.
Last night I bring my Macro-Microscope and make few videos on it behavior. The videos are long to can be more understandable to those who are interested to see it, and to can be identified.
Please some one to ID this one, because still n
ot sure is it completely bad or no, and just in case if I already introduce it in my DT and have it, how to treat it at all in future case if I find this one in my DT. It look like the areas where is been for a longer on the leather corral the tissue isn't in perfect condition, The Sea Fan look fine, on both the Sea Fan and the leather corals the polyps are fully opened once isn't on it (the leather look fine and even the area where it was for a while at the moment it's under it and don't disturb the polyps)
If someone is interested in to have it, probably can find way to ship it (for education purposes), but that's the really odd creature I ever see in my life.

IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3557.jpg
IMG_3560.jpg

2016_0101_011013.JPG
2016_0101_011016.JPG
2016_0101_011022.JPG

Video Quality 1024K (from the player settings)

More Photos and Videos: ->> https://photos.app.goo.gl/8VduYfayVY4vsFV77

(sorry about the time on the camera, I forgot the Macroscope don't have battery on the recorder and don't member the time. the last 5 videos I done last night 2am)

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting. So do you have more than one of these specimens or are all of the videos of the one on the sea fan? I believe @Crabs McJones is correct. Fascinating. I would love to have one, never had one come in before though. It should feed on small particle foods in the water column, i wonder if it would reproduce in aquaria.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting. So do you have more than one of these specimens or are all of the videos of the one on the sea fan? I believe @Crabs McJones is correct. Fascinating. I would love to have one, never had one come in before though. It should feed on small particle foods in the water column, i wonder if it would reproduce in aquaria.

Where are you from ? I'm in UK.
Looking on them they reproduce really quickly! The one on the sea fan is gone, I kill it with peroxide. The other I have was only on one leather coral in a quarantine box, after I cut small peace of it which left in the water I now can see I have more than 5 (I do believe was there only 2), one of the big during one of the videos split very easy touching it, today looking in the container, all are pushing them "fishing lines" and they look fine.
Tell me where are you from, and how I can send some to you, I hope can take them out of the coral w/o killing them, or make them hundreds .

Ooo I just saw these last week in another thread. I believe them to be benthic ctenophores
do you think they are completely reef safe ? I don't want they to disturb the corals, on 2 of the long videos you can see the leather tissue condition under it (in what condition is) The coral was jelly like covered , not sure from them, or the coral it self, it wasn't showing much of the polyps...
Soon I'll start to have in the water column much food (preparing the system for heavy load-feeding for NPS), don't want to have thousands of them disturbing the coras at all.
Very cool!

Still not sure how safe they are for my system.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you from ? I'm in UK.
Looking on them they reproduce really quickly! The one on the sea fan is gone, I kill it with peroxide. The other I have was only on one leather coral in a quarantine box, after I cut small peace of it which left in the water I now can see I have more than 5 (I do believe was there only 2), one of the big during one of the videos split very easy touching it, today looking in the container, all are pushing them "fishing lines" and they look fine.
Tell me where are you from, and how I can send some to you, I hope can take them out of the coral w/o killing them, or make them hundreds .

do you think they are completely reef safe ? I don't want they to disturb the corals, on 2 of the long videos you can see the leather tissue condition under it (in what condition is) The coral was jelly like covered , not sure from them, or the coral it self, it wasn't showing much of the polyps...
Soon I'll start to have in the water column much food (preparing the system for heavy load-feeding for NPS), don't want to have thousands of them disturbing the coras at all.

Still not sure how safe they are for my system.

Ah, I am in the states. Sorry my friend. I hope you can safely reproduce them, one day I'll have one :)

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I am in the states. Sorry my friend. I hope you can safely reproduce them, one day I'll have one :)
Sorry, will take really longer to send them to you. I'm still not sure do I want to have them (or that particular one). Do they aren't going to overtake the DT, or to make some damages....
And like I see I can multiply them easy, they grow pretty fast, just have to split them on half (test it already) and after few hours both parts have 2 sides for feeding.
If someone from/in UK or Europe want, let me know.
I think to build separate tank with simple filtr. system, flow, skimming etc and to put in it only creatures I don't want to introduce yet in my DT.

OP
OP
SHNICI

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this who have it in them DT be careful, this creature can infest the whole tank, it's feeding on zooplankton/phytoplankton, small crustaceans, etc.
It's carnivorous, the only one found predator of it is Beroe ovata, another type of ctenophores.
So from my point of few if you see that one in your DT be careful, because at some point you will have to change your type of food to be completely not meaty, or you risk to infest the whole DT with that creature which at some point will cover most of your corals and during the day.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back