Help ID this pest algae (microscope images included)

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had a hard time with a pest algae in the tank for a very long time now... At one point this stuff took over my entire rocks to the point that manual removal was no longer sustainable. I ended up replacing my rocks with a new set of cured rocks and cleaned a lot of the frags/colonies with hydrogen perxoide and put them into my tank. A few weeks ago, I began to see some small parts of the same algae coming back, so this time I decided to nuke it before it became a bigger problem. I used Flux (because I think it is green hair algae) and had it going for 2 weeks, but it made 0 impact on it, not even slighly discolored. So I went to my LFS and put some under the microscope and got these images... any idea on whether it is GHA or something else?

As a side note, I have a ton of snails, a few urchins, a starry blenny, and white tail bristletooth and they dont seem to care for it one bit, at least not enough to make a dent in it.

TLDR: weird algae (possibly GHA) took over rocks, replaced rocks but its starting to come back. Frags were cleaned with H2O2, CUC doesnt seem to care for it, fish dont like it either. 2 weeks of Flux did nothing to it.

Zoomed out under white light
image0.jpeg

Microscope images:
2020_0603_184145_005.jpeg

It seems to have some sorts of little brown things on the strands as well:
2020_0603_184500_008.jpeg

2020_0603_185325_013.jpeg

Even higher magnification (especially parts that have brown bits on it):
2020_0603_185146_012.jpeg

2020_0603_185030_010.jpeg

Old rocks that have been taken over (this was before I removed them from the tank):
IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

Any help to ID and possible solutions are appreciated.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like plain old green hair algae to me.

What are the nutrient levels in your tank like?

Nitrates hover around 5, and phosphates around 0.006, slightly on the lower side, but youd think then the GHA wouldnt grow as much. When the rocks were full of them, I assumed that the algae was likely pulling it out of the water column, but since replacing the rocks (months ago), the nutrients havent really gone up.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates hover around 5, and phosphates around 0.006, slightly on the lower side, but youd think then the GHA wouldnt grow as much. When the rocks were full of them, I assumed that the algae was likely pulling it out of the water column, but since replacing the rocks (months ago), the nutrients havent really gone up.
That is definitely odd. What do you have for filtration? In systems like yours some macro algae can potentially help turn the tide. Really really weird though!

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely odd. What do you have for filtration? In systems like yours some macro algae can potentially help turn the tide. Really really weird though!

For filtration, I have my water going through filter floss, then a skimmer, and finally a a bit of carbon. Unfortunately, my sump doesnt allow for a space for either a algae turf scrubber or fuge. I can possibly put some macro in the display, but I would imagine the bristletooth would munch on that really quickly

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For filtration, I have my water going through filter floss, then a skimmer, and finally a a bit of carbon. Unfortunately, my sump doesnt allow for a space for either a algae turf scrubber or fuge. I can possibly put some macro in the display, but I would imagine the bristletooth would munch on that really quickly
There are little acrylic boxes that you can put macro in within your display or sump but I’m not sure that it would do very much in a tank that size. It’s a frustrating problem for sure.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty normal GHA (derbesia) with some diatoms growing on it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had a hard time with a pest algae in the tank for a very long time now... At one point this stuff took over my entire rocks to the point that manual removal was no longer sustainable. I ended up replacing my rocks with a new set of cured rocks and cleaned a lot of the frags/colonies with hydrogen perxoide and put them into my tank. A few weeks ago, I began to see some small parts of the same algae coming back, so this time I decided to nuke it before it became a bigger problem. I used Flux (because I think it is green hair algae) and had it going for 2 weeks, but it made 0 impact on it, not even slighly discolored. So I went to my LFS and put some under the microscope and got these images... any idea on whether it is GHA or something else?

As a side note, I have a ton of snails, a few urchins, a starry blenny, and white tail bristletooth and they dont seem to care for it one bit, at least not enough to make a dent in it.

TLDR: weird algae (possibly GHA) took over rocks, replaced rocks but its starting to come back. Frags were cleaned with H2O2, CUC doesnt seem to care for it, fish dont like it either. 2 weeks of Flux did nothing to it.

Zoomed out under white light
image0.jpeg

Microscope images:
2020_0603_184145_005.jpeg

It seems to have some sorts of little brown things on the strands as well:
2020_0603_184500_008.jpeg

2020_0603_185325_013.jpeg

Even higher magnification (especially parts that have brown bits on it):
2020_0603_185146_012.jpeg

2020_0603_185030_010.jpeg

Old rocks that have been taken over (this was before I removed them from the tank):
IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

Any help to ID and possible solutions are appreciated.
If the CUC don’t eat this algae, what are they eating instead?

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty normal GHA (derbesia) with some diatoms growing on it.

Any idea why Flux didnt have any impact on it? Would it be a good idea to do a second dose? Higher concentration? Should I do a water change before that, or just add more flux...

I added a dosage based on 75 gal 2 weeks ago.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back