Help Identifying Tang Discoloration

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also of note, the tailspot blenny is still doing peachy. Completely normal. How can that be if he’s in the same tank?
With flukes, it is common for only certain species to be infected, and that can vary with different types of flukes. Protozoans more often infect many species of fish.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been 48 hours since the FW dip and about 72 since starting Prazipro (I started that the day before the fe dip). I’m not seeing any appreciable changes.

But… he’s not getting worse, and he’s still eating.

Should I go ahead and continue just watching and do a second dose of Prazipro around day 6? Is copper worth starting at this point or should I wait to see if the Prazipro works?
Tough to say at this point. Do you have coppersafe or copper power? Those can be used along with prazipro in most cases.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple ounces copper power from my lfs until I can order a bottle. Should I go ahead and dose it?

I can't say - it depends on the dosing level...and that depends on the amount of copper you get and the tank volume.

A partial dose of copper will not give you any benefit.

Do you have a copper test kit? It is going to be difficult to dose it accurately without one, especially in multiple copper additions.

Jay

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't say - it depends on the dosing level...and that depends on the amount of copper you get and the tank volume.

A partial dose of copper will not give you any benefit.

Do you have a copper test kit? It is going to be difficult to dose it accurately without one, especially in multiple copper additions.

Jay

My observation setup is a 20g tank. I had considered just going by the suggested amount on the back of the bottle.

I don’t have a copper test kit at the moment but I can order one. Is there a “good enough” option that doesn’t cost as much as the Hanna copper checker?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My observation setup is a 20g tank. I had considered just going by the suggested amount on the back of the bottle.

I don’t have a copper test kit at the moment but I can order one. Is there a “good enough” option that doesn’t cost as much as the Hanna copper checker?
I use the API copper test, but reading the color change is VERY difficult.
Jay

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's what I'm thinking at this point....

I think for now I'm going to hold off on copper. If I'm reading everything around here right, Ich and Velvet seem pretty unlikely given that I first noticed the discoloration 20 days ago and he's still alive and eating. So basically why bother with the copper if it only treats those two pathologies.

I did a 90% wc tonight and added another dose of PraziPro and fw dip (3 days after the first prazi dose, per the bottle instructions).

I'll see how he does over the next few days. I hate being gone at work for such long shifts. I keep expecting to come home to find him floating...

If I still don't see any improvement, what would be the next steps? If it's not Ich/Velvet, and it's not flukes, what's the next most likely... something bacterial? I'm still surprised/confused/glad that the blenny is unaffected. Little victories, right? :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'm thinking at this point....

I think for now I'm going to hold off on copper. If I'm reading everything around here right, Ich and Velvet seem pretty unlikely given that I first noticed the discoloration 20 days ago and he's still alive and eating. So basically why bother with the copper if it only treats those two pathologies.

I did a 90% wc tonight and added another dose of PraziPro and fw dip (3 days after the first prazi dose, per the bottle instructions).

I'll see how he does over the next few days. I hate being gone at work for such long shifts. I keep expecting to come home to find him floating...

If I still don't see any improvement, what would be the next steps? If it's not Ich/Velvet, and it's not flukes, what's the next most likely... something bacterial? I'm still surprised/confused/glad that the blenny is unaffected. Little victories, right? :)
Well, I can’t think of anything else, so keep us updated!
Jay

khuchting724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a yellow tang that had some discoloration , I know it is not the same as a tomini tang. I was told that I should start feeding the tang some seaweed. By adding this to its diet it seemed to make the yellow more vibrant.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
6 days since the last update…

He still not dead

He’s actually been doing much better this last 4-5 days. He’s eating reliably and his color looks much better. He’s still really skittish and hides when I walk up to the tank but if I hang back a ways I can see him out swimming around.

Now the question becomes: from what point do I restart the 30 day observation clock? And do I continue with the Prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 days since the last update…

He still not dead

He’s actually been doing much better this last 4-5 days. He’s eating reliably and his color looks much better. He’s still really skittish and hides when I walk up to the tank but if I hang back a ways I can see him out swimming around.

Now the question becomes: from what point do I restart the 30 day observation clock? And do I continue with the Prazipro?
Not sure what you mean by a 30 day observation.
How many doses of Prazipro have you applied so far?
Jay

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure what you mean by a 30 day observation.
How many doses of Prazipro have you applied so far?
Jay

2 doses of Prazipro

How much longer should I keep him (and the Two Spot Blenny) in the separate “quarantine” (obs) tank? I had originally planned 30 days before this issue popped up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 doses of Prazipro

How much longer should I keep him (and the Two Spot Blenny) in the separate “quarantine” (obs) tank? I had originally planned 30 days before this issue popped up.

For fish with a disease issue, I go anywhere from 14 to 45 days after the last symptoms were seen. I use 14 days if I treated for both protozoans and flukes. I use 45 days if I'm not confident what the fish had, or if I treated them effectively.

Jay

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For fish with a disease issue, I go anywhere from 14 to 45 days after the last symptoms were seen. I use 14 days if I treated for both protozoans and flukes. I use 45 days if I'm not confident what the fish had, or if I treated them effectively.

Jay

Since it seems the Prazipro worked I assume the mostly likely culprit was flukes.

Yes I know what ASSuming does.

So do you think it’s (relatively) safe to say another 2 weeks? Or is that too presumptive and reckless?

By the way, thank you for all your help Jay. I have been on your end of this spectrum in a previous hobby and I understand what it’s like having to help new people sort through their basic new-guy issues. I really appreciate all your guidance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it seems the Prazipro worked I assume the mostly likely culprit was flukes.

Yes I know what ASSuming does.

So do you think it’s (relatively) safe to say another 2 weeks? Or is that too presumptive and reckless?

By the way, thank you for all your help Jay. I have been on your end of this spectrum in a previous hobby and I understand what it’s like having to help new people sort through their basic new-guy issues. I really appreciate all your guidance!

Personally, unless you have a compelling reason to cut things short (like the tank is having ammonia issues) I would wait at least 30 days.

Jay

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it’s been just over 30 days since I last saw anything unusual. The Tomini has been doing great in observation. So has the Tailspot. I transferred both into my display tank 2 nights ago and they’ve settled in wonderfully!

Thanks so much for all your help Jay!

(Sorry for the crappy video)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back