Help! Is this ICH or something else my hippo has on its body.

gloaquaticsNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does my hippo tang have ICH? Thinking of doing a dip, any recommendations?
IMG_2672.jpeg
IMG_2671.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like it - it could also be mucus cones which are often associated with ich. The treatment would be copper for 30 days per protocol. If you haven't treated your fish with prazipro when first introduced you could do that protocol as well. Your tank will need to be left fishless for 8-10 weeks.

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
It looks like it - it could also be mucus cones which are often associated with ich. The treatment would be copper for 30 days per protocol. If you haven't treated your fish with prazipro when first introduced you could do that protocol as well. Your tank will need to be left fishless for 8-10 weeks.
8-10 weeks …. Done tried that twice with no success. Uv sterilizer kept me from losing my head

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gloaquaticsNY

gloaquaticsNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gloaquaticsNY

gloaquaticsNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty standard on hippos .

Jk ! Yes it does look like ich or related disease. I’m sure someone with a decorated back ground can confirm
I've been reading that Hippos do have that white spot trait, but for mine to kind of be more visible than ever got me a bit worried. Thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's probably ich. If the spots are in a different place or gone in a few days, that would help to confirm ich. If there aren't other symptoms and other fish don't show anything yet, I would wait and watch for a day or two. A dip won't help much, as it wouldn't kill most of the trophants (feeding stage) and the parasite would still be in the tank anyway.

You have options for treatment, depending on your situation. Hyposalinity in the display, if you don't have inverts including corals that you care about, works well. Otherwise, treating ALL fish in a hospital tank with Coppersafe or Copper Power or hypo while you leave the display fishless is the best way.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
8-10 weeks …. Done tried that twice with no success. Uv sterilizer kept me from losing my head
Did you ever treat your fish with copper?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gloaquaticsNY

gloaquaticsNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's probably ich. If the spots are in a different place or gone in a few days, that would help to confirm ich. If there aren't other symptoms and other fish don't show anything yet, I would wait and watch for a day or two. A dip won't help much, as it wouldn't kill most of the trophants (feeding stage) and the parasite would still be in the tank anyway.

You have options for treatment, depending on your situation. Hyposalinity in the display, if you don't have inverts including corals that you care about, works well. Otherwise, treating ALL fish in a hospital tank with Coppersafe or Copper Power or hypo while you leave the display fishless is the best way.
Thank you so much for the feedback

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I wrote in my first post : "It looks like it - it could also be mucus cones which are often associated with ich. The treatment would be copper for 30 days per protocol. If you haven't treated your fish with prazipro when first introduced you could do that protocol as well. Your tank will need to be left fishless for 8-10 weeks." If you go to the 'Fish Disease Forum - there is a protocol for quarantine/treatment that is recommended at R2R (in a sticky). https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back