HELP!! - Longnose Hawkfish Disease/Parasite Identification

ReefSoup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began noticing what looks like a white bump on the bottom tip of my longnose hawkfish's mouth. I haven't seen any change in behavior and it's still eating regularly. It's not the clearest picture, but it's the best I could get for now. Any ideas on if this may be a parasite, infection or potentially just an injury? Any recommended treatments? I don't see any white spots anywhere else on its body or on any other fish (granted they're 2 Wyoming White clownfish so white spots would be hard to see anyway and my watchman goby hides and is too skittish to get a close look) so I don't think it's ich. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hawkfish Disease_20200626.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSoup

ReefSoup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the growth cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower like in texture?
I was able to get a little bit of a closer look and it looks like a group of small, clear/milky bumps, almost like a cold sore, with what looks like a white fibrous growth coming from a portion of it, if that makes sense.

Hawkfish Disease (2)_20200626.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lymphocystis. Usually a harmless virus unless it interferes with eating or breathing. Add Beta Glucan to the food. It helps boost the fish's immune system to suppress the virus.

OP
OP
ReefSoup

ReefSoup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I feed Hikari Bio-Pure vitamin enriched mysis and brine shrimp, but don't see beta glucan in the ingredient line so I assume I'll have to add it to the thawed food myself. I'll look into getting some for sure.

For the chance that this is not lymphocystis (though it definitely seems like it is), are there any other diseases that may appear similar at first and any changes to the growth that I should keep an eye out for?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question.
It's important to note that often when lympho pops up there is something off with the fish's immune system. It's under stress. Could be water quality, food, disease, injury, stress, etc.
I'd consider broadening its food selection first. Consider adding chopped clams, mussels, etc.

Things to look for: white filmy areas, redness, necrosis.
Med kit for infections of the head/face: Sulfaplex aka Triple Sulfa + Neoplex works very well in a QT.

Back