Help Looking to raise PH

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a little stump with this one. I am having issues with my PH dropping down to 7.8 but during the night and during the day with lights on as high as 8.
My current system is around 180gal mix reef with more SPS than others.

I have a Ca Rx with a second chamber that keeps my alk around 9dkh but my issue has been going on before that was added.

I have a Refugium that is reverse time of main tank. I have used a O2 scrubber which didn’t give much of a change. And been currently using outside air via tube to the skimmer and that has no effect at all. My tank is very well ventilated
What else can I do? I am stumped

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very well ventilated
What else can I do? I am stumped

That is likely the issue, if you have high CO2 home air. The room air getting to the tank top is competing with the low CO2 air in the skimmer.

pH 7.8 is not a big deal and I wouldn't agonize over it, but fresher air to the room will help, as will using the highest pH alk additive (hydroxide) when you need alk.

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info was striving for better growth with higher PH.

This wasn’t a concern years back staying around 8.2 -8.3

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info was striving for better growth with higher PH.

This wasn’t a concern years back staying around 8.2 -8.3

With my setup, I can pretty much dial-in a pH. However, my journey began with wanting to establish an ULM system that was able to maintain stability and I went down a pH rabbit hole. To get back to ULM, in the future I'll probably ditch everything, but AFR if I can. I will say the journey was fun and I learned a lot.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to a ca rx since I was dosing over 200ml + wasn’t cost effective for me and too many swings in alk.
Were you dosing all that manualy causing the alk to swing?

I understand your switch to a carx, if i was dosing that much I would switch too.
I just find low ph to be more detremental than alk swings and would rather dose a little high ph 2 part along with a calcium reactor than have low ph.

You could also try adding a second skimmer connected to outside air just for the purpose of degassing and run it with the cup off.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to a ca rx since I was dosing over 200ml + wasn’t cost effective for me and too many swings in alk.
I should have mentioned this earlier but are you running your carx effluent into your skimmer water intake?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the most out of Kalkwasser basically requires you to use it to your evaporation limit. Generally speaking, this is usually somewhere around 1% for most aquariums. This amount of Kalkwasser will replace ~1dKH worth of Alk and a comparable amount of Ca. This is why most tanks require a supplemental Ca/Kalk dosing. From a pH perspective, this amount of Kalkwasser will raise pH by about 0.6 NBS. I have found that a continuous drip of Kalkwasser raises my average pH by about 0.1 NBS. Using a very oversized CO2 scrubbed Skimmer, I can overcome my higher house CO2 aeration occurring from powerheads and return pumps and gain an additional 0.2 NBS bump.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised the pH in my 260 gallon system by using a Co2 scrubber and half strength Kalkwasser in my ATO water. ( 1 Tsp per gallon)

Together they took my pH from 7.7-8.0 to 8.0-8.3. I don't know how much each contributes as I added them close to the same time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back