HELP!! Major stress event. Power out for 42 hours

Ryan's.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my power was out for 42 hours straight, no lights, no flow, no heating!! The tank, at its coldest temperature was 71.4 Fahrenheit. Mostly everything seemed to have recovered fine EXCEPT for GSP (Green Starry Polyp) soft coral. I would figure that this would be the most resilient in my troop. It’s been about 3-4 days now with light cycle back on, stable temperature, and same amount of flow as to before the power tripped… but still not showing any signs of polyps opening. Should I give up on this? Or does anyone think that it could make a comeback, if so how long?

IMG_7875.jpeg IMG_7874.jpeg

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, how stressful! In my experience, GSP is very hardy and also prone to polyps closing for days at a time. I once had it happen for over a week for no apparent reason. I am hoping yours will be back to normal before long. From the pics, other than the polyps being closed, it looks health to me. Good luck!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP are like cockroaches, give it some time. Mine, also have closed days at a time only to go back to their beautiful green flowing selves. If your other corals made it the gsp should be fine.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back