Help Me Adjust My Reef Dynamics INS80 Skimmer

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked online for a manual, but it appears this company is no longer in business and I haven't been able to locate any instructions.

I have a Reef Dynamics INS80 (I think that's the model) which, as far as I can tell, has two adjustments. One is the telescoping overflow tube coming out the side of the main chamber. The other is a needle valve on the air inlet.

What principle do I use to guide the adjustment of the overflow height? Am I just trying to get the water level inside the chamber right up to the neck? And then do I simply adjust the air needle valve to get the proper amount of bubbling into the cup?

Here's a photo of the skimmer in question. The air adjustment is out of view but the overflow can be seen clearly on the left. The only adjustment is to lengthen or shorten the telescoping tube.

skimmer.jpg

Last edited:

namester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an INS180, which is slightly different, but I assume the principle is the same. The instructions that came with mine said 1) adjust the overflow valve so that the foam is midway up the neck. and 2) only use the needle valve only if you're getting more foam than can be controlled. I never even bothered installing the needle valve.

Also you can pull up what info there was for your skimmer via archive.org. I recommend watching the LA Fish Guys video's they had linked from the site, they're kind of long but they cover a lot of the theory on how their skimmers work.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back