Help me choose lights for 36x18 tank (a360x with narrow beam enough?)

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering: K7 Pro v3, a360x (with 55 degree reflector), ReefLED 90, Hydra 32HD, ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro. Will consider others.

This is for an Octo Lux T90 tank, which has a display area about 35x16x18. The tank is in the living room, and we're trying to make the whole thing fit the room's aesthetic. Sadly that means hanging or suspending bare lights is not really going to happen. We we would like the most is to hide the light fixtures in pendant-style light fixtures suspended from a shelf above the tank.

The a360x would be best for this. We could hide them in a 7-9" pendant fixture with the lights 12-14" above the tank. It *seems* like doing this with the narrow reflector would work pretty well, and give us good shimmer. Not sure if shadowing would be a big problem, or if the overall output of the light would even be good enough.

We could try fitting other fixtures into 9 or 11" pendant lights, but I'm worried 12 inches over the water would be too much for most of the other ones. Another option would be to get the ReefLED pendant system and mount one of the square lights into it. I know it's been done with the K7 Pro v2 by @mermaid_life so that's certainly an option. That would probably be the most cost effective as well. Or I could just put a pair of ReefLED 90s in there, which seem to perform pretty well.

Any thoughts or suggestions of ways to make it look nice and make sure I have enough light? Maybe 3x K7 Minis?

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 16" wide tank a light height off the water is about 8" for 90 degree lenses.
A single fixture the should be around 19" wide from last left led to last right led

At 12" height and 55 degree reflector your "spot" size is 12.5" at the water surface.

You may be better off with a few 24" bars
Best to get 100 watts worth.

or a t5 array.
$500 (plus bulbs) and it can be hidden behind a say 3-4" skirt around the shelf. Need room for venting of the fan
24" ATI SunPower 6x24W23.1 inches13.4 inches2.1 inches

Way outside the normal box..
I'll assume 90 degrees but it sort of checks everything you want.
About $500
180 watts
Oh probably need the hanging kit.
$50
Believe it is still Chinese new year so expect a delay

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back