Help me pick my next fish (48 inches wide, 110 gallons tank)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading from 75 gallons sumpless to 110 gallons + sump (48 x 24 x 22 high) and I will be adding new fish 3-4 weeks after the transfer.

Can you help me narrow down my list ?

My criterias :
- pacific fish, that will get along with the group
- 2 x medium/bigger fish - colorful and not too skittish (I want to see them a lot)
- 2-3 smaller fish
- no fish with complicated diet. It has to eat different frozen foods, flakes, pellets, nori
- reef safe

Fish I have now :
  • 1 x banggai cardinal
  • 1 x firefish goby
  • 1 x blue eye kole tang / 2 spot bristletooth (ctenochaetus binotatus)
  • 1 x Pajama Cardinal (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
  • 2 x oscellaris clown standards
  • 1 x Yellow watchman goby
  • 1 x one spot foxface
  • 1 x yellow coris wrasse
  • Total = 9 fish
I also have many snails, a few shrimps, a few hermit crabs, an emerald crab.

Fish on my list :
  • copperband butterfly
  • mandarin
  • Squareback anthias
  • cleaner wrasse
  • yellow tang
  • orchid dotty back
  • naso tang
  • coral beauty dwarf angelfish
  • Flame hawkfish
  • bluehead wrasse
  • Flame angelfish
  • Hippo tang
  • powder blue tang
  • Chocolate tang (magnifique et pas trop gros !)
  • Starry blenny
  • Filefish (pour aiptasia)
  • Convict tang
  • Genicanthus melanospilos, also known as the Spotbreast Angelfish, Black-spot Angelfish, and Swallowtail Angelfish.
  • Genicanthus semifasciatus also known as the Japanese Swallow Angelfish (reef safe)
  • Genicanthus watanabei, also known as the Blackedged Angelfish, Watanabei Angel. (reef safe)
  • Ruby red dragonet
  • lamarck’s angelfish (genicanthus)

With your comments, I’m hoping to scratch some fish off my list, to make it easier to choose. I’ve researched everyone one of them already but infos are sometimes contradictory.

Thanks !

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hoping you'd get to jump into this tank finally. I know you've been waiting a long time so congrats.
Besides the clowns,don't see much aggression in your tank so just be careful if adding any aggressive fish, ie powder blue or flame hawk. Both can be terrors.
Dwarf angel would be good, mostly reef safe . I have a coral beauty but it's a complete dick so I'd never suggest that, although others have had nicer ones. Just really depends on fish.
Naso is out. Tons of issues with them lately. Just research on here.
Yellow tang probably a good choice as are the wantanabei and swallowtail. Nice angels, peaceful and would go well with your original fish.
Mandarins are difficult and I don't like/never would have another dottyback. Mean and play dirty and like to hide.
Of your list, that's what I got for ya.
Lotta times it depends on the specific fish really. I'm hoping others will chime in with opinions also.
Best of luck keep us updated.
Joel

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterflies and be tricky to get eating at first. You can’t go wrong with a yellow tang, I got mine from @Biota_Marine and he’s healthy and happy. The other tangs on your list will certainly outgrow your tank. Also brace yourself for the stocking police, 9 fish and adding 3-4 more is “a lot” :grinning-squinting-face:

IMG_3136.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hoping you'd get to jump into this tank finally. I know you've been waiting a long time so congrats.
The delivery, transfer and set-up is supposed to happen in two weeks. Fingers crossed.
Yellow tang probably a good choice as are the wantanabei and swallowtail. Nice angels, peaceful and would go well with your original fish.
I'm happy to hear that. As for the yellow tang, chances are I’ll only find a small one. Will it be able to hold its own against my blue eye kole tang ? This fish is a jerk to everyfish I add, for a few weeks.

To help with that, I want to add the last fish together, to decrease aggression towards one single fish.
The other tangs on your list will certainly outgrow your tank. Also brace yourself for the stocking police, 9 fish and adding 3-4 more is “a lot”
It will be a yellow tang then. I really like them.

I don’t like heavy bioloads and I don’t think 12-13 fish is a lot. The yellow watchman goby is never seen except to eat. The firefish is in its cave 80% of the time. The pyjama cardinal stays in one side of the tank, close to the glass. It’s like having 6 fish and adding 4 more for a total of 10 fish in 110 gallons. IME that’s reasonable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I’ve put a reservation on an adult Yellow tang needing rehoming and a swallow tail angel (female).

I just did my tank upgrade 2 days ago so I’m giving the tank 2-3 weeks for stress levels to go down before I introduce these two expensive fish. I might add a filefish in a week or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back