Help me to decide new coral!

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8788.jpeg
That left wall on that left rock! Ok so the tank has been stable. I’ve got one acan front near the bottom right that has struggled for a while but everything else is right. I’m ready to add some more coral. I’m aiming to populate the left wall of the left rock in this picture. The wall is steep. That also causes less light. My questions are what coral would work best in this location, from top to bottom.

Also when I get my coral, would insert a plug into my hole on the live rock? This would mean the coral. would be on a 70 degree ish angle. Or would I angle the plug to be up and down like in the fish store? I’m a noob so my questions might sound weird. I honestly don’t know and want things to thrive.

Finally with respect to choosing coral, I buy online because my store is 1.5h away in the city in heavy traffics. Are there better things to look for when purchasing to ensure success? I’ve found the really cheap frags often don’t survive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8788.jpeg
That left wall on that left rock! Ok so the tank has been stable. I’ve got one acan front near the bottom right that has struggled for a while but everything else is right. I’m ready to add some more coral. I’m aiming to populate the left wall of the left rock in this picture. The wall is steep. That also causes less light. My questions are what coral would work best in this location, from top to bottom.

Also when I get my coral, would insert a plug into my hole on the live rock? This would mean the coral. would be on a 70 degree ish angle. Or would I angle the plug to be up and down like in the fish store? I’m a noob so my questions might sound weird. I honestly don’t know and want things to thrive.

Finally with respect to choosing coral, I buy online because my store is 1.5h away in the city in heavy traffics. Are there better things to look for when purchasing to ensure success? I’ve found the really cheap frags often don’t survive.

Have you checked this forum and Facebook groups for people in your area selling coral? Local reefers are a much better option for coral if available.

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked this forum and Facebook groups for people in your area selling coral? Local reefers are a much better option for coral if available.
I have never. That’s a great idea. Thanks! What do you think on coral types for that left area. What should I be looking for?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial but would just get a variety of anemone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_8788.jpeg

Being an AIO tank, what light are you using as it would be one of my First considerations before adding coral (assuring light will support them) Some AIO have limited light output and wattage

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown tends to hang around behind that rock so that actually would be a good idea. Are there any anenomes in particular that are better for a smaller 20G tank?
BTA would be great there, and far from the powerhead

ieatbugman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini carpets, bubble tips (they are a bit larger and move), and rock flowers are the ones that come to mind
My clown tends to hang around behind that rock so that actually would be a good idea. Are there any anenomes in particular that are better for a smaller 20G tank?

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini carpets, bubble tips (they are a bit larger and move), and rock flowers are the ones that come to mind
I think I’m sold on the Bubble tip. Concerned about the movement. I don’t want to be in the same position if I have the guy move out and then have an empty wall again.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 2 suggestions of a bubble top anemone. Are torched compatible with this? And as for a garden, how many frags would be needed for a garden?
I would say two or more. I have 4 together and then another garden of two hammers and two frogspawn. I never had any anemones except for rfas. They are beautiful but all the reading, with the exception of rfas, the need a very stable tank that is mature. That is a good way to practice patience which is key to this hobby. Happy reefing!
E4CC232D-766A-4F7D-AEC6-FCD6AF8BAC3D.jpeg
56620B69-1CC5-4BBA-ADA4-6F3E91739E32.jpeg

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say two or more. I have 4 together and then another garden of two hammers and two frogspawn. I never had any anemones except for rfas. They are beautiful but all the reading, with the exception of rfas, the need a very stable tank that is mature. That is a good way to practice patience which is key to this hobby. Happy reefing!
E4CC232D-766A-4F7D-AEC6-FCD6AF8BAC3D.jpeg
56620B69-1CC5-4BBA-ADA4-6F3E91739E32.jpeg
Oh boy. Those are wonderful. Now more questions. Would a torch cover an anemone so much that it couldn’t get light. Also what’s that big red coral? It’s gorgeous. Also under your torches…there’s a little orangish coral. What’s that. And finally, above the frogspawn is that a hammer? Beauty tank.

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. Those are wonderful. Now more questions. Would a torch cover an anemone so much that it couldn’t get light. Also what’s that big red coral? It’s gorgeous. Also under your torches…there’s a little orangish coral. What’s that. And finally, above the frogspawn is that a hammer? Beauty tank.
Omit that last question. I was too interested in your pics and didn’t fully read.

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an AIO tank, what light are you using as it would be one of my First considerations before adding coral (assuring light will support them) Some AIO have limited light output and wattage
I’ve got a couple of these guys…

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No if a nem isn’t getting enough light it will just move to a spot where it does. The big red coral is a red monti cap. I had just fragged a piece off.

OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No if a nem isn’t getting enough light it will just move to a spot where it does. The big red coral is a red monti cap. I had just fragged a piece off.
That looks wild. I’ll be looking for a month. Under the torches... Is that a lepastrea? Thx!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back