Help me understand co2 scrubber

wooderbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively small AIO system so I am not running a skimmer in the system. I am dosing kalk but ph still drops below 7.8 at night and I would like it to be little higher.

I ordered a co2 scrubber, and I looked up if anyone shared their setup with an air pump. Not much information was found other than people running it with their skimmers.

It will be here this Thursday so I havent run it yet. Am I understanding it right though?Do I hook it up from an air pump -> air hose -> co2 scrubber intake -> co2 scrubber outtake -> air hose -> air stone?

Will it still increase the ph in the system even though the air is coming from the outside? I thought it was supposed to remove co2 in the water.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively small AIO system so I am not running a skimmer in the system. I am dosing kalk but ph still drops below 7.8 at night and I would like it to be little higher.

I ordered a co2 scrubber, and I looked up if anyone shared their setup with an air pump. Not much information was found other than people running it with their skimmers.

It will be here this Thursday so I havent run it yet. Am I understanding it right though?Do I hook it up from an air pump -> air hose -> co2 scrubber intake -> co2 scrubber outtake -> air hose -> air stone?

Will it still increase the ph in the system even though the air is coming from the outside? I thought it was supposed to remove co2 in the water.

The assumption for this to work is that outside air has less CO2 than inside air.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the scrubber is connected to a skimmer and that sucks air through the media to lower the CO2.
Variations included running an outside airline through the scrubber to the Skimmer(that’s what I do).

For your application the air stone would need to have an inlet to connect a tube to draw air from the scrubber and then force into the tank. I’m not sure you will get the same effect as the dissolved CO2 in the tank water is what is removed vis the skimmer.

Try it and see.

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, no mention of feeding the air pump with outside air.

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you eventually set up your scrubber?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back