Help me with my planned bioload and tankmates

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be L shaped with one side being 96x36x30" deep and the other side will be 60x36x30 deep.

But they don't utilize width as much as rigid bodied fishes and can more than comfortabley make the turn needed to go back to their cave, now if the length was closer to being 36" or even 48" than 96" it would be much more a cause for concern, but isn't so in this instance.

He said the width was 36" not 96". The 96" is the length of one part of the L. A 8ft wide tank will be awesome and I will love to see it. Maybe the OP will change his plans.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also said the length was 96", so the 36" width is less of a problem than if the dimensions were more cubelike.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) 600 gallons is enough, the shape is of concern like cu455 said, but I am pretty much ignoring that here as I know that compatibility is the bigger issue in the short term.
2) I work as a public aquarist and as part of a zoo and aquarium subcontractor. Frankly your "it is just a job to them" additude about Aquarists is for the most part, wrong.
- most went to school for it
- it is a highly competitive field
- it is not that well paid like you said, yet is a job with a need for passion, knowledge, learning, extreme diligence and observation.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the zoo's and aquarium's staff is so well educated and observant wwhat purpose does the subcontractor have? If the subcontractor is the expert than how are the inexpierienced staffers any better than the home aquarist at livestock observations.

I have dealt with more than a couple of public aquarium professionals and been sorely dissappointed with their knowledge. A very clear difference in book knowledge versus practical application knowledge is evident in these settings.

A hobbyist can simply focus on the relatively fewer fish under their care more easily than those at a public aquarium. Hobbyists are every bit as observant and willing to learn too.

The passions of those working in public aquaria certainly can't be denied, but just as in the hobby their are definitely fields within that one is more interested and passionate about than others.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the zoo's and aquarium's staff is so well educated and observant wwhat purpose does the subcontractor have? If the subcontractor is the expert than how are the inexpierienced staffers any better than the home aquarist at livestock observations.

I have dealt with more than a couple of public aquarium professionals and been sorely dissappointed with their knowledge. A very clear difference in book knowledge versus practical application knowledge is evident in these settings.

A hobbyist can simply focus on the relatively fewer fish under their care more easily than those at a public aquarium. Hobbyists are every bit as observant and willing to learn too.

The passions of those working in public aquaria certainly can't be denied, but just as in the hobby their are definitely fields within that one is more interested and passionate about than others.
Lol I am frankly completely disappointed with your insistence with the apparent lack of experience.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have experience keeping sharks with angels? Having experience with sharks is not the same. I may not have experience with hundreds of sharks, but I do have experience with sharks and angels. To diiscount documented accounts is discounting evidence and experience.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have experience keeping sharks with angels? Having experience with sharks is not the same. I may not have experience with hundreds of sharks, but I do have experience with sharks and angels. To diiscount documented accounts is discounting evidence and experience.

Obviously I have since I said in the very beginning that I have seen it happen first hand.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I have since I said in the very beginning that I have seen it happen first hand.
Then was it in public or home aquaria? What was the feeding regimen? All to often in public aquaria and home tanks with predators and lg fish only get fed only a few times a week for the sake of water quality. This, however, has been shown to have a negative affect on the behavior of angels toward tankmates since their natural behavior is to feed all day.

In the tanks I have seen them coexist they have been fed multiple times a day with grazing stations setup for the angels with nori and sponge.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, and feedings ranged from 3-7x per day. Seriously, you are outmatched here... You can't bring up a point I cannot counter. It is IN AN ANGELFISHES NATURE.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am basing it according to my personal experiences. Apparently there can not be a difference in experiences with the same fish according to you.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... You apparently cannot read or have reading comprehension problems.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have seen it in species that have absolutely no "filamentous appendages" such as bamboos, horns, whip rays, and others... Can you mix Angels and Tangs with Sharks? Yes, are their risks? absolutely. I always encourage people that want to exhibit sharks in their home to be especially smart about two things, adequate space, and realistic tank mates. Given your tank sizes you listed, sounds like your tank was woefully inadequate to keep the commonly available species of Shark for any length of time without health complecations

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they van be kept together why are you so adament that in this case they can't, the OP's tank is more than adequate to house the fish. You say 'woefully inadequate' but leaves space to turn, swim, and stay out of the way.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That quote is in reference to YOUR tank for YOUR Shark.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, reading comprehension seems to elude you... Can we even trust what you have read on Google?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That quote is in reference to YOUR tank for YOUR Shark.
I didn't realize you also believed sharks were impossible to move to larger tanks.
Again, reading comprehension seems to elude you... Can we even trust what you have read on Google?
You are more than welcome to check for yourself, but it seems you only believe your own experiences rather than those of anyone else.

OP
OP
ballroomdude

ballroomdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooooo.......as the OP here I can say that they would be fed multiple times a day. I'm still doing research.

I'm staying away from puffers and triggers specifically for the sake of the cat shark should I go that route.

I figured 600 gallons and my plans to keep them fat, and happy would be enough to help quell some angel aggression.

Please keep on topic and keep the &*#!ing contest over pm gents.

Ppoeschl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooooo.......as the OP here I can say that they would be fed multiple times a day. I'm still doing research.

I'm staying away from puffers and triggers specifically for the sake of the cat shark should I go that route.

I figured 600 gallons and my plans to keep them fat, and happy would be enough to help quell some angel aggression.

Please keep on topic and keep the &*#!ing contest over pm gents.
Again, reinventing the wheel. Angels that are well fed will still pick on sharks just as much as they will with a similar situation with a tastey coral.

OP
OP
ballroomdude

ballroomdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok......well if that's really the case then I like the angels over the shark.....I can add wrasses or a puffer and be happy. Thank you for your input.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back