Help!! My birdsnest was attacked by a crab!!

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that's exactly how mine looked, white patches in random places they would even start growing back but to no avail =( My sexy shrimp are from my first tank I've always had them and that's the only coral they have ever pestered. must just be delicious

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that's exactly how mine looked, white patches in random places they would even start growing back but to no avail =( My sexy shrimp are from my first tank I've always had them and that's the only coral they have ever pestered. must just be delicious
Oh dear. I hope they leave my yellow one alone. Is there any way to catch those little buggers? Oh and btw, I'm a dudette.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very strange. I have neither Sexy nor Hermit. I'm using a doser and have had no swings, changes of any kind. Light setting are the same as yours and my Birds Nest has done the exact same thing.
a3bfff7c251d4824320f6310c69463d4.jpg

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol apologies mine are pretty easy to catch they can teleport but only so far so a big net and somthing to chase em into it works for me :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very strange. I have neither Sexy nor Hermit. I'm using a doser and have had no swings, changes of any kind. Light setting are the same as yours and my Birds Nest has done the exact same thing.
Ok that makes me feel a a little better because you're my nano sps guru!! I'm just going to leave it alone and hope it comes back. The other sps in the tank are fine.

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree those sexy shrimps are the devil. Birsdnest, plate and torch is what mine had a taste for. LFS said I was crazy.. When I finally noticed that anything they were on would start to decline I put two and two together and decided to get them out. I siphoned all 5 of mine out of a 72. Only took about ten minutes. I noticed improvement the next day! Good luck on getting those terrors out

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if shade has anything to do with the die off. You see this all the time with corals like Caulastrea, Euphyllia etc. As the coral gets bigger and bigger it casts a shadow over some of the branches or polyps on the bottom causing them to die off.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if shade has anything to do with the die off. You see this all the time with corals like Caulastrea, Euphyllia etc. As the coral gets bigger and bigger it casts a shadow over some of the branches or polyps on the bottom causing them to die off.
That's an interesting thought. If so, will the rest of the coral continue to grow without a problem?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should, as long as it's receiving enough light. In most cases no light, no go.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should, as long as it's receiving enough light. In most cases no light, no go.
It gets 4hrs white at 15% and 8hrs blue at 40%. Steve's LEDs. Does that sound like enough?

ChuckFu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell, how long have you had it? Do you have other SPS in the tank? Could be AEFW, dip and see. I don't have crabs nor shrimp in my tanks, as I'm iffy on them munching my polyps. Anywho, if all else checks out, sip it. If it truly is RTN/STN, frag the coral, and hope for the best.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This looks like poccilipora and not birdsnest? Back when I had pocci in my tank, the shaded parts would often die, I assume due to lack of light. They I had polyp bailout, then it was removed from my tank.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell, how long have you had it? Do you have other SPS in the tank? Could be AEFW, dip and see. I don't have crabs nor shrimp in my tanks, as I'm iffy on them munching my polyps. Anywho, if all else checks out, sip it. If it truly is RTN/STN, frag the coral, and hope for the best.
I have another birds nest that's just fine. I did turn this one around on its rock after it came loose and I'm wondering if the side that was now facing the light instead of pointing away might have bleached them. I moved it to the back of the tank where there's less light. The sexy crabs are all over it. I'm just going to watch it and see what happens. It still has a little color.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 151 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back