Help! My fish has a damaged fin, and she's not eating

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day before yesterday, Gem got stuck on the heater... Her fins are better now, but when I was feeding them today she couldn't quite swim up to eat the flakes. The flakes float so her buoyancy when trying to eat them wasn't the best. So I gave them another portion. I thought she ate, but she didn't. In my experience, if fish don't eat, they die :( Do I put her in a separate quarantine tank so she can eat?

All of her tankmates are like piranhas so they eat everything in minutes. Normally, I feed my fishies once a day, but I'm thinking of feeding them this afternoon so she can get food :(

What do I do? I don't want everything to become too late.

OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should probably separate it so it can eat and get away from aggression until healthy again.
So, I'm going to try to feed them again this afternoon with sinkable pellets so she has a chance to eat without having to swim well, if that doesn't work I'm going to put her in a quarantine tank and give her food :)

Upvote 0

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but how do I lure her into the water bottle? I'm so bad at scooping out fish out of their homes xD
not like that, first, cut off the top like this:
download (1).jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cant really. you could diy a net if you have mesh or something flexible
i HAVE an idea but I don't know if it's cruel for the glofish,,, I could try a ziploc and since she's kinda sick I could get her easily in there, I don't want to use a bottle because if SHE JUMPS she meets the pearly gates. I would blame myself for that accident my whole life and yeah, maybe I should use a ziploc?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i HAVE an idea but I don't know if it's cruel for the glofish,,, I could try a ziploc and since she's kinda sick I could get her easily in there, I don't want to use a bottle because if SHE JUMPS she meets the pearly gates. I would blame myself for that accident my whole life and yeah, maybe I should use a ziploc?
After making sure she gets in the bag I will put her in the quarantine tank, give her food and a lot of love :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! An update: She made it! I gave her a lot of food in her quarantine tank and the ziploc worked xD imo I think it’s better than fishing net because the fish is not harmed with their fins and all.

Thank you all for your support and advice! Now she’s going to get better :>

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back