OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the length of the line will matter? I probably have 20 feet to the closest window.

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any thoughts about dripping kalk to help with the low ph? I have been dripping about 1 gallon with 2 teaspoons kalk per night but I haven't noticed any change. I saw a rise in alkalinity up to 10dkh but ph didn't move at all. I didn't know if I should increase how much kalk was dripped since the alkalinity went up

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried opening a window every now and again and letting some fresh air into the room .. you could also run a fresh air line from outside too your skimmer if you can't open a window ...

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any thoughts about dripping kalk to help with the low ph? I have been dripping about 1 gallon with 2 teaspoons kalk per night but I haven't noticed any change. I saw a rise in alkalinity up to 10dkh but ph didn't move at all. I didn't know if I should increase how much kalk was dripped since the alkalinity went up

To solve the caulked spot by draining s probably the whole tank. How old is the tank? For your reassurance I would drain dry cut out the old caulk. Make to use the appropriate caulk see pet store. My buddy about ten years ago let caulking go and did not want to clean or do prevent maintenance one day he walked in and see all the corals everywhere. Do it right the first time and your mind will thank you. Good luck!

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, I have a small window open today since it in the mid 40s with a fan blowing toward my sump to try and circulate the fresh air. I also have a fan blowing on the finished side as well. I will measure again when I get home later.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your ph at now .. or normal for your tank ..?? Mine is normally around 7.9 too 8.1 .. I don't really test that often for ph .. my tank is in my living room .. and we smoke as well .. so I alwAys try too keep the room well ventilated.. have you done a night time test .. your ph will drop at night .. so just make sure it's not dropping under the 7.0 at night .. I'm by no means an expert in this hobby .. so maybe someone else will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong with any of my advice ...

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my wife check and she said it is at 8 right now. So it seems as though I am traveling between 7.8 and 8. I have tested with the lights out and it'seems usually pretty steady at 7.8.I also turned off my skimmer yesterday to try and up the nitrates a bit since many have shared that an ultra low nutrient system actually starves the coral. Do u think dosing something like red Sea trace elements would help as well?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my wife check and she said it is at 8 right now. So it seems as though I am traveling between 7.8 and 8. I have tested with the lights out and it'seems usually pretty steady at 7.8.I also turned off my skimmer yesterday to try and up the nitrates a bit since many have shared that an ultra low nutrient system actually starves the coral. Do u think dosing something like red Sea trace elements would help as well?
Yes ,, it won't help with the nutrients, but it will help with your trace elements ..when I first started I had the same as you .. because I'd read somewhere that my p04 and no3 needed too be a 0 .. I was also under the impression that WC s would replenish the trace elements ... I was wrong and I lost a purple stylo and another sps ..after that my lFS told me I needed to add these trace elements ... I live in Holland .. here they tend too sell more columbo or HS products .. I use columbo coral vits and columbo all in one .. I dose each 2 ml couple of times a week and my corals seem happy enough ... ..my N03 is between 10-20ppm mostly near 20 if I'm honest .. I also use nitrate Ex from columbo for n03 dose 6ml per day I have no algae .. and no cyno in my tank .. you just. Need too find the balance in your tank .. tests are good .. but your corals will tell you more !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help Jason. I have been fairly successful keeping a fowler and trying my hand at coral care has really given me the reef bug. Lol. I am going to head to my lfs later and pick up some trace element additives as well as trying to slowly up my nitrate/nutrient numbers.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help Jason. I have been fairly successful keeping a fowler and trying my hand at coral care has really given me the reef bug. Lol. I am going to head to my lfs later and pick up some trace element additives as well as trying to slowly up my nitrate/nutrient numbers.
No problem quicksilver.. glad too help anytime if I can .. .. this is my tank by the way .. 100 ltr (25g) .. happy Reefing !!:cool:

IMG_2184.JPG

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.....So, it's been a little warmer here in PA for the past couple days so I have had my basement window open about half way with a fan circulating some fresh air through the basement for the sump. I checked my ph yesterday with the lights off and the ph was about 7.8. When I got home at 6 I checked again and it was a little over 8 i definitely think having the fresh air helped. I have had my skimmer off for 2 days, started running again last night in an attempt to raise my nitrates a bit (still showing zero). I will turn it off when I get home later. Hammer is still retracted and it seems the torch is retracting now as well. I will keep making the attempt to raise my nitrates a bit and directly feed the corals. Hopefully in a few days I will see some changes.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back