Help, nem committed harry carry in a wavemaker.

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

HELP!

My nem (magnifica) committed harry carry in a wavemaker Last night, he was largely intact but very damaged, I have removed him and as much of the debris as I can and taken the following action/observations:

1) the tank was cloudy when I discovered it this morning
2) the skimmer cup was full (wasn’t last night)
3) the fish in the tank seem unaffected (percula, damsel, coral beauty, snails, regal tang, goby, 3 spot and 6 line wrasse).
4) I have changed water (125ltrs of 400 capacity).
5) added activated carbon
6) transferred the nem to a bucket with an airline, changing water as soon as it gets cloudy.

questions:

1) as my fish are still alive am I likely to loose any of them?
2) the nem is alive as it is attached to the bucket, will they heal given time?
3) is there anything I should be doing over and above the listed above?

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Andy.

OP
OP
Andy Bliss

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how come you don't have cover on your wavemakers?
I have had a recent Dino outbreak and they clogged 3 times a day so seeing as none of my anemones have moved in 5 months or so I took them off while I fought the outbreak = Sod’s law.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damage is on one side and it looks like the mouth is intact

He'll probably be fine.

I had my large BTA detatch and get sucked through the weirs in an overflow and end up down in the sump. I still have no idea how he went through that and came out in one piece, gelatinous body eh? They'll regrow tentacles without much trouble IME, every once and a while I'll accidentally get one with the siphon and the nem will retract and get ***** for a while but he comes around.

Got any pictures of its current state?

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry but "harry carry" just made me laugh really hard. Good luck with the nem though!

OP
OP
Andy Bliss

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll probably be fine.

I had my large BTA detatch and get sucked through the weirs in an overflow and end up down in the sump. I still have no idea how he went through that and came out in one piece, gelatinous body eh? They'll regrow tentacles without much trouble IME, every once and a while I'll accidentally get one with the siphon and the nem will retract and get ***** for a while but he comes around.

Got any pictures of its current state?
I’ll see if I can get a decent one .....

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your anemone, I hope it recovers. Following to learn information in case my future nem goes through the same.

Also, I really, really hate to be "That Guy", but it's 'Harakiri', otherwise known as Seppuku. Ritual suicide by disembowling, some what fitting in this case.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up and the advice.

Maybe test nitrates and phosphates if you think there might be residual anemone bits rotting somewhere? I think time is the only thing you can add to the steps you've taken :). As much as I like anemones, I don't have them anymore as they moved too unpredictably for me.

OP
OP
Andy Bliss

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see if I can get a decent one .....
As I said, a bit of a mess :(

main tank has cleared nicely though, I have a set of 3 breeding tanks set up to a common sump but don’t want to put him in there unless I’m sure he won’t wipe them out

0644FBB1-396C-4F0A-B914-FA6BC8B6F367.jpeg

OP
OP
Andy Bliss

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe test nitrates and phosphates if you think there might be residual anemone bits rotting somewhere? I think time is the only thing you can add to the steps you've taken :). As much as I like anemones, I don't have them anymore as they moved too unpredictably for me.
Yeah, that’s the plan from tomorrow and ammonia in case of a spike.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the mouth or foot isn't damaged, and the magnifica was healthy to begin with, then you should be fine. Just turn down the flow a bit so it can recover without getting blown around.

What kind of wavemaker do you have? There may be covers that you can buy to specifically protect your anemone. For my Gyres, I have covers made by NemProtect. For my MP40s I just bought some 3D printed ones from eBay. The designs that actually sit a bit off of the wavemaker (versus hugging up against it) are the ones you should be looking at.

OP
OP
Andy Bliss

Andy Bliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly he didn’t make it, wont underestimate their mobility next time I get one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back