Help! new BTA shrinking!

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bta from an Lps and it looked great and healthy obliviously a little stressed looking on the ride home and I immediately started acclimating the temp and as soon as the temps matched I started to drip acclimate at around 3 drops per 2 seconds (1.5 drops per second) and I thought that was a good pace and I left it like that for half an hour meanwhile still monitoring my new arrivals and the bag was squishing it a bit but it looked fine but I still pushed out the bag and that's when the weird stuff started happening the anem did not reform it stayed flat and I figure it was because it was unsure it was going to get flattened again so I carried on and then the 30 min mark came and I sped up the flow to a small slow stream just to get rid of the rest of the water and then I took my corals down and dipped them and all that and i came back and the anem used to have small bubbles on its tentacles now they were gone so i thoght it just must be stressed and so i put the corals and anem into the water without putting dealer water into my tank and then thats when i thought something was off it did not stick onto things and kind of rolled around and to put into perspective this tank had only the filter running because i am upgrading to better wave pumps and there was no way it could have been knoked over so simpily put its foot was not grapping onto stuff and i still assumed it was stressed and so i moved it again so that it did not get knoked over again and then i waited a bit about an hour and i come back and it is completeley deflated and its tentacles were almost fully retracted ands its mouth was open and it was spewing strings of brown stuff and it looked like it had melted and so I freaked out and touched it but it gave a weak response so what I decided to do and scince it was feeding time I gave it a brine shrimp and it only took it and did not eat it so then i decided that maybe it is getting too much light and is getting stressed by it so i moved it behing a rock in some shade and on the sandbed and it has not changed state scince then and i decided i touch it way to much and left it be.
Tank parameters:
temp: 75
salinity: 1.026
ph: 8.3
ammo: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate : 40 ppm
calc: ~420 ppm
light parameters: 300-30 par
tankmates: gsp, ocellaris clownfish, blue leg hermit crab, and shark nose goby
(or I could be panicking)

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! this is my first time getting an anemone and I was anxious, also just to be on the safe side I performed a 25% water change.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I melt holes into a plastic cup and clip it to the side of my tank with the new nem for a week or so. Let’s them get comfortable with the perams and I can monitor them closely to make sure they’re eating. Example with one of my babies right now. I put them in the tank after they eat every day for a week and show good bubbling. Seems to lessen the time a nem walks around for?
D2FBD075-FD5D-4A68-9211-B4A9A5340DA7.jpeg
D2FBD075-FD5D-4A68-9211-B4A9A5340DA7.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time to adjust. Dont feed it right now. The bubbles can come and go, they are not an indicator of stress.

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need a wider cup for the Quadracolor to give it some room, add some sand to the bottom or some rubble, nems dont like smooth plastic and will get stressed looking for substrate or rock to attach to, this will help with the nems acclimation, move the cup to an area that has water flow to get the tentacles to sway...hope this helps

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have moved them to a cup and they are already opening up back again I will also put rocks in it and the cup in an area with flow and I will post an update as soon as anything happens.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1342.JPG

here I decided to post a photo of it in its current state it is about the size of a penny it used to be the size of a half dollar

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare plastic > sand for bta

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: he seems to be expelling a brown substance from his mouth and his tentacles have become more active... could it be spitting out its algae?

FCBACAEF-C5CC-4EF9-B493-59FD462808FB.jpeg 4949D133-5CED-4184-8FF8-1DFC12BE1415.jpeg

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: he is now moving for the first time and expelling a lot of that brown stuff at the same time so I added more rocks and whenever brown cloud appeared I would carefully remove it by sucking it up with a pipette.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that “messing” with my BTA causes more stress than just letting it be, they will move to a spot they like. Just keep stable parameters and maybe only blue lights the first couple of days you should be fine

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since then I have not touched it and I am panicking it has completely flopped over and it looks like it is dangling but I am afraid to touch it because I don't want to stress it out even further. what do I do?!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back