saltwaternoob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
I've seen some data, perhaps the same you were told about, but we can discuss it in more detail when its published.
icon_smile.gif

Quite possibly, the person i spoke with has the initials R.R.

Here is one guy in the groups results. Another member spoke with you a few months ago and you recommended alternating between GFO and phosgaurd. One to remove Aluminum and one to remove Barium i believe.
Triton12-11-20141_zps9d5e91dd.jpg

Triton12-11-20142_zps7cd06a37.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fishroomlady
please update with that information. I find this very interesting
icon_smile.gif
I hope you get it figured out - your tank is beautiful

Thanks, I hope i can get it figured out as well. Although with all this new rain we are getting maybe it will just flush out what ever is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit from Randy: oops, I'm really sorry, I thought I hit reply with quote but I must have accidently hit edit and I wiped your post.

Can you repost this one?

well, I found I had the original window open still so sort of fixed it. Anyway, that's why it looks weird.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, RR is the data I saw.

I don't see anything unusual in that Triton data above except the salinity is low and phosphate is high. A number of folks have some of those same other issues (such as aluminum) without losing corals.

OP
OP
S

saltwaternoob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, thats what i was thinking was going to happen.
Unfortunately they don't test for petroleum products, witch is what i am afraid is the problem.

Figured that was your source also.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't there be a component in petroleum that would show up in the test? Of course, I am clueless about chemistry :)

jgalen0025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, thats what i was thinking was going to happen.
Unfortunately they don't test for petroleum products, witch is what i am afraid is the problem.

Figured that was your source also.

Triton does not test for any compound per se as it breaks everything down to elemental levels. If you can find out what the petroleum compound is, you could potentially look to see if there are any specific tell tale elements from that molecule showing up in the triton test.

Also, just because one tank does ok with a certain contaminant, it does not mean that someone else might not have major problems with it. Every coral species reacts differently to different things. There are plenty of examples of this on the forum as well.

OP
OP
S

saltwaternoob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i could figure it out that would be great, but i dont know exactly(or relatively) what it could be at this point.

I agree that things react differently in other tanks, however we are all reporting little to no polyp extension in acros, millis were the 1st to die and blues, purple and red acros went 1st. Green seem ok although they have stn also, i have a few that are still alive. Two people are also reporting a oil like film on the water surface. I wouldn't have even posted this, thinking i was just doing something wrong, but our issues are too similar to discredit at this point. One individual is now going to FOWLR because of all the losses, they even lost a GIGAS clam, which was the final straw.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back