Help on configuring a 75

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am going away for a few months, but when I get back I am hoping to purchase a 75gallon from glass cages (unless I find a used, drilled tank locally) anyways ... since I am paying for it all up front I was wondering what extras and so such I should get... this will be much bigger than my current 14 gallon.
I would like bigger, but I am in a rental house.. so I have to set up a tank planning to move whenever... oh and I am poor-ish.

75 gallon
starphire front, maybe sides
1 overflow, with 2 drain holes.

now... those are the specs to choose from glass cages... i am sure that is not adequate... do I need more than 1 overflow box? also.. should I get holes drilled for water coming back into the tank? overflows are 75 a peice, with extra holes being 25... so keep budget in mind.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with glasscages. I have heard mixed reviews about them. They seem to be either a love them or hate them outfit. I also heard you have to be careful using their delivery service cause they don't tell you there is an extra $80 delivery charge until you go to pickup your tank.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, that is very cool then. I was going to order from them a while back cause their prices are great but the horror stories scared me off.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size i would consider a Perfecto tank from Marineland...very good prices, and very very good build quality. Black Silicone, Corner overflows, etc. Most LFS can get them, and will also stand by a good warrenty...

Haven't really heard many good things about Glass Cages...Not trying to turn you away, but be very mindful of the silicone work...ive heard they are very sloppy. Also, once they have you money, ive heard they have horrible communication.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have seen Glass Cages work on 3 separate tanks... Sloppy and uneven, I went with an Oceanic.

If money is not an issue... go with an Oceanic... everything you want and a stock tank.
Drilled, overflow kits included, overflows black double wall, Sapphire front.

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well money is somewhat of an issue, the 75gal with starphire front and sides, reef ready with bulkheads is going to run in the 380 range... and no shipping since I can pick it up. This will also allow me not to accept it if the silicon has imperfections (sloppy is fine, just not compromising flaws)

also for lighting... 150watt or 250watt... I looked at an outer orbit pro 250 with 4x t5's and 18 led moonlights... just 800 on dr f&s, will this be cheaper than peicing/wiring all the stuff peice by peice?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back