Help: Plumbing display tank to frag tank in another room

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find too much info on this, so here it goes.

I have a 300 gallon display tank and sump up and running. Everything is great there.

I had a plumber install 3/4 inch pex in the wall to my utility room before the tank went in because I'm crazy.

I want to setup a frag system and plumb it to my display.

Here are my thoughts.

Get two ecotech vectra bad boys and match the power. One in sump of display and one in sump in fish/frag/utility room pumping back and forth, essentially a loop between the systems. Its 8 feet head height. Then just across and down. Pumps will push it no problem.

The few posts like this that there are are pure speculation with no one doing this, no firsthand experience.

I figured I would integrate apex via USB run and get breakout boxes and hook up optical floats to cut off the pumps if the sump water level gets too high on either side. And add others for backup additional alerts as well as leak detection for the oh sh$% moments.

To me this would work. I would ensure sump doesn't overflow, and all the apex programming is on point.

Seems this would save time, money and have a larger body of water to deal with. One system.

I have pics of the setup in my build thread. Just click the badge in my post by my name up top.

If all else fails I may give it the old college try and report back. Worst case I just end up making them two separate systems. I'm aware flow rate can change due to bio film, piece of something getting stuck, etc etc. But with the float switches it would shut it off and let me adjust.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back