[Help] Setting up Computer fans to wall socket

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So were getting some last minute summer heat waves, tank hit 83.2 today and it's made me want to setup fans.

I'm looking at hooking up 3-4 120mm PC fans -- Now I know you can connect them to a 12v wall plug, but how many should I be able to put on one plug? I'm looking to only take up one slot on the Apex if I can.

If you have other ideas (like a Fan Hub connecting to a single wall plug) i'm all ears.

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tell me the amperage of the plug I can do the math for you but probably up to 10 without knowing the amperage. I would also just put a splitter on your light so that it just runs when your lights are on instead of taking up another spot.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to work out the total amperage the fans will use & buy a suitable 12v dc power supply to plug into the wall to run them.

You could also buy a digital temperature controller to hook them up to to maintain a steady temperature.

Last edited:

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't draw much power at all, I used heat sink and used an extension cord and spliced it to each fan. You can cut up the wire and daisy chain them together to one plug.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're safe to assume the average case fan will use 3-6w and somewhere around .25 - .5a. There should be a sticker on the fan somewhere that lists its power draw.

I'm using an Antec branded 2 speed selectable fan on my IM 25. I also had a buddy print up some of these for me working great.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone. Sorry to say, while I was figuring out what I needed, and adding things to cart I found this: AC Infinity 120mm 110 CFM fan
61srnxD5PiL._SL1000_.jpg

This thing is $18 on Amazon and already setup for my needs. Price difference is like $4 more than DIY, and these are Deep blade fans so I have a reasonable amount of hope for these.

I think you're safe to assume the average case fan will use 3-6w and somewhere around .25 - .5a. There should be a sticker on the fan somewhere that lists its power draw.

I'm using an Antec branded 2 speed selectable fan on my IM 25. I also had a buddy print up some of these for me working great.

Thanks, and those are nice little legs! I've just grabbed one of the fans posted above, at 110 CFM it's about double the strength of most of the more powerful PC fans. If necessary I'll gladly grab another for the sump area.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone. Sorry to say, while I was figuring out what I needed, and adding things to cart I found this: AC Infinity 120mm 110 CFM fan
61srnxD5PiL._SL1000_.jpg

This thing is $18 on Amazon and already setup for my needs. Price difference is like $4 more than DIY, and these are Deep blade fans so I have a reasonable amount of hope for these.

Thanks, and those are nice little legs! I've just grabbed one of the fans posted above, at 110 CFM it's about double the strength of most of the more powerful PC fans. If necessary I'll gladly grab another for the sump area.
Looks good.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
61srnxD5PiL._SL1000_.jpg

How many watts does it use?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts does it use?

18 Watts -- I know there's gotta be more efficient fans.. But I've currently got 3 full sized fans hooked up to tank and they aren't doing a thing, combined, they move *almost* as much air as this little fan. So I'm hoping it's a good trade.. I'm surprised it uses 18 watts. Dimensions are 120 x 120 x 38mm -- That 38mm depth gives it a lot more oomph.

Link Here

EDIT: If you look at the pictures from customers on Amazon, more than one guy has it in his sump section haha. I'm not sure if I want this to be on the DT or on the sump.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pife -- what temperature do you like to keep your T5's at?

Somewhere randomly in one of the MANY BRS videos, they mentioned an exact temperature that gave them the best par -- Never remembered to write it down.

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just shut off or I'd be able to tell you for sure but I aim for 40 or below. I think 37 was the best par if my memory is any good.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TbyZ -- Do you think 110 CFM will be enough airflow? Or should I have purchased more than one.

My fan pushes ~40cfm and it keeps my DT rock sold at 80 (controlled by my RKL) even when the ambient is 4-5* hotter. We get hot here in OR, most summers we'll have a few days in the triple digits, but this year has been abnormally hot for longer periods. I dont have AC on the main floor, only window rattlers in the bedrooms, we got up to 96* outside/84* inside today and the fan only stayed on for a few minutes at a time. 110cfm should be plenty.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just shut off or I'd be able to tell you for sure but I aim for 40 or below. I think 37 was the best par if my memory is any good.

37c, so around 98f -- Same as the human body. Good to know!

My fan pushes ~40cfm and it keeps my DT rock sold at 80 (controlled by my RKL) even when the ambient is 4-5* hotter. We get hot here in OR, most summers we'll have a few days in the triple digits, but this year has been abnormally hot for longer periods. I dont have AC on the main floor, only window rattlers in the bedrooms, we got up to 96* outside/84* inside today and the fan only stayed on for a few minutes at a time. 110cfm should be plenty.

That is so great to hear, you have no idea. My tank hit 83.3* today... So panic. I'll be happy to have the tank not spike above 81 ideally. It was 91* inside the house today. old house holds a LOT of heat.

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37c, so around 98f -- Same as the human body. Good to know!

That is so great to hear, you have no idea. My tank hit 83.3* today... So panic. I'll be happy to have the tank not spike above 81 ideally. It was 91* inside the house today. old house holds a LOT of heat.
You need to get some curtains and fans!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't say without knowing all the factors.

You say your tank hit 83.5f?
Thats not necessarily too hot. What's more important is stability of temperature.

Seems too hot for me! I'm getting a temp swing of about 5* between day and night right now :/

You need to get some curtains and fans!

I have them, doesn't help. This house is HOT, you can touch the ceiling and feel heat. it sucks!

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems too hot for me! I'm getting a temp swing of about 5* between day and night right now :/

I have them, doesn't help. This house is HOT, you can touch the ceiling and feel heat. it sucks!
Wow. What type of roof does it have. I or a white roof on my house and it helped a bunch. Now we just tore down the house next to ours and we are using a lot more electric to cool our home. I need to get some trees planted to help shade it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back