Help! What's on my new clownfish?!?!?

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my ocellaris clownfish started to develop a couple of cloudy, milky/ hazy light spots! He's not easy to take photographs of, as he is extremely active and always swimming around with his Buddy. He is also still eagerly eating, and not showing signs of heavy breathing.. or anything for that matter. In the photographs you can see the most prominent milky patch. Is this brooklynella hostillis? Velvet? I'm not sure. I've had this fish for about 5 days. All other fish in the reef are happy and healthy, and water parameters are stable and in check.

4597d49c1ae8c9b03602441df109e8cb.png

4c4b510b08bf70d984040545795cdff4.png

6c438dfd76ded3fa567bd61e948c2651.png

I'm a tattoo artists and have appointments all day today. I'm worried sick about this little fella! I'm a newer reef keeper. All help is greatly appreciated! [emoji24]

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it's brook or velvet as velvet is usually all over the fish including fins. I would guess an internal parasite? Don't stress too much Sam. This is a great community of reefers here to help you out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably the beginnings of brook. If you catch it early you can easily treat him. You'll need to remove all fish and treat them the same way. Put them in QT and leave the display fallow for 6 weeks. Check here for treatment options: Brooklynella (clownfish disease)

I recommend the Acriflavin dip followed by treatment with metroplex in QT.

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it's brook or velvet as velvet is usually all over the fish including fins. I would guess an internal parasite? Don't stress too much Sam. This is a great community of reefers here to help you out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Do you think I should bring him back to the store I purchased him at? I don't want to foul my other fish [emoji31]

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably the beginnings of brook. If you catch it early you can easily treat him. You'll need to remove all fish and treat them the same way. Put them in QT and leave the display fallow for 6 weeks. Check here for treatment options: Brooklynella (clownfish disease)

I recommend the Acriflavin dip followed by treatment with metroplex in QT.

I don't have a QT [emoji31] could other method work? Do you think I should bring him back? Maybe an RO bath? I feel like I purchased him with whatever is going on.

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with above. I can't tell anything definitive from the pics, but "cloudy, milky/ hazy light spots" sounds like brook to me.

Should I try to capture some better pictures? Can I post a video on this forum?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should bring him back to the store I purchased him at? I don't want to foul my other fish [emoji31]

Your other fish are already exposed to it. It's too late for that. You can return him but he has a better chance to live if you can find a 10 gallon tank somewhere and set up a quick QT.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the above. But just so your aware I believe that is a snowflake clown. Not occeleris. But brook is my guess too. I actually treated for brook on my clown. It went easy and they made it. And mine was way worse. Both eyes were swollen. I would highly recommend qting that fellow and gain the experience! It'll be good for the long run!

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the above. But just so your aware I believe that is a snowflake clown. Not occeleris. But brook is my guess too. I actually treated for brook on my clown. It went easy and they made it. And mine was way worse. Both eyes were swollen. I would highly recommend qting that fellow and gain the experience! It'll be good for the long run!

It was my understand that the snowflakes were occeleris, and not Percs. This fish was sold to me as a black Ice snowflake they said [emoji848] But maybe I'm wrong. Did you have to quarintine all fish? Or just the clowns?

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other fish are already exposed to it. It's too late for that. You can return him but he has a better chance to live if you can find a 10 gallon tank somewhere and set up a quick QT.

Is this spread only by way of clownfish? Will my other fish host the disease/ parasite or whatever it is?

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understand that the snowflakes were occeleris, and not Percs. This fish was sold to me as a black Ice snowflake they said [emoji848] But maybe I'm wrong. Did you have to quarintine all fish? Or just the clowns?
All fish... once brook is introduced its everywhere. You will have to qt all fish and leave dt fallow for 76 days.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ice snowflake is the correct term. They are part of the occeleris family but not the same as a regular occeleris.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are right. Amphiprion ocellaris is the scientific name. The term "snowflake" is only used to describe the color variant.

OP
OP
samiam69

samiam69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that my clownfish has just scraped himself? The spot honestly looks like a patch of lighter pigmented skin. Tho I know he didn't used to have it. It hasn't grown in size, and he still seems happy and healthy. I have pretty good eyes and the area doesn't seem to have anything "growing" on it. I wasn't able to locate the meds I need if it is brook yet.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back