Help with Alkalinity dosing

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is my recipe and I'd dose both parts equally based on alk demand unless calcium is actually already too high or too low. ;)
Ok so I’m kinda just researching too much at this point. So new topic. Dosing kalkswasser. I have a mixed reef and I’m trying to get more acro’s. If I was to start dosing kalk instead of 2 part how exactly would I do that? I’m reading don’t dose into an ato and some saying to dose in an ato. I manually top off my water multiple times a day (I know I’m going to get a real ato just so I could start dosing kalk, I’m just paranoid of them malfunctioning). But some days I add more/less fresh water due to the weather. (I’m in Chicago). So wouldn’t dosing according to my ato be different daily?

second - if I use a lift pump on a timer or dosing pump then where should I dose the kalk? Directly in my tank or into my ato (but back to my original question, if into my ato then wouldn’t it be different daily depending how much my tank evaporates)

third - if I have my pump shut off if my ph raises above 8.4, could my alkalinity ever be too high/low? I guess what I’m asking is could you have high ph with low Alk? If so, how do you prevent that?

fourth - views on kalk stirrer like avast? Is that better? Sorry for all the wordy questions. Thanks a lot!

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)
Last question sorry! I’ll try to make it simply as I could. Is there a way to figure out

“x” amount of kalk will raise ph ______
“x” amount of kalk will raise dkh _______

I keep my tank at 8.4dkh and consume about 1dkh a day. 430ppm calcium consume about 7ppm a day and ph is usually 7.8/8.0

thanks a lot seriously sorry for so many questions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back