Help with baby Storm Clowns

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently picked up a pair of Mocha Storm Clowns but there was a little bit of a gottcha. When they arrived they were actually babies, or at least juveniles... I don't know what the distinction is really. Either way they're probably 1"-1.5" long so pretty small. I don't think the store was trying to trick me, but they weren't advertised as babies, and the video they sent of them didn't have any other references for scale.

Anyway, their patterns are gorgeous, they're healthy and I got a good price on them, so I'm not terribly upset.

That being said I'm just looking for some advice. Most of the day they both hole up underneath the PVC pipes in the QT tank. When I come up to the glass, or when I go to feed them, they come out and are very active. They physically look healthy, no labored breathing and they have a good appetite. However when I'm not around they sneak under the PVC pipes and almost lay there on the bottom of the tank.

I've tried turning down the light in case it was too bright, I've also dialed my MP10 way down as I was worried it was too much flow but no change to their behavior. I did the usual tests all water params are in line and I'm not treating with any medications. I've also had them about 10 days, they're the only ones in QT so you'd think they're pretty comfortable. I've just never had clowns this small, is this normal behavior or something I should be concerned about?

Mocha Clowns.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI,sounds like normal clown behavior to me :) any probs arise come on back;)very nice pair:cool:

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the swift feedback. The only clown I ever owned was the standard "nemo" clown that is a requirement for your first tank. He was so active! In my experience a fish laying on the bottom of the tank makes me hit the red alert button. LOL!

I appreciate the reassurance. ;Happy

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by your pics they are not juveniles but sellable clowns, dialing down the lights does help, they are used to being with their school of brothers and sisters and have never been alone not only that but moved from grow out tank to wholesaler to store then you... they will come around eventually give them luv

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back