Help with chemistry, Hanna checkers and API liquid tests

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. I recently bought a new set of Hanna checkers and was hoping someone could look over my numbers and let me know if they look OK based on the Hanna checker.

55 gallon reef with fish, soft coral, LPS, cuc and live rock. 6 months. Starting to get purple coralline algae.
Only running a protein skimmer and UV but about to setup a sump with chaeto, carbon, bio blocks and filter socks in the next few days for additional filtration. Fiji DIY 20 long sump.

Temperature 79
HI784 Ammonia Reading 0.34
HI774 Phosphate ULR 0.90
HI772 Alkalinity 10.3 dKH
HI758 Calcium 428
Salinity 1.022

API Liquid
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 10
pH 8.4

Salifert Mg Profi Test 1.6 in the dropper so ~1260PPM

Stocking
1 Oscilaris Clown
1 Scopas Tang
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
2 Bengai Cardinalfish
1 Red Head Fairy Wrasse
1 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Rainbow Anemone

Last edited:

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, quick question the fish you mention. Are they in the system or are they fish you plan on getting in the system?

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are fish that are already in the system. And yes, I know some will outgrow. I plan to upgrade to a 125 in the next 8-12 months.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are fish that are already in the system. And yes, I know some will outgrow. I plan to upgrade to a 125 in the next 8-12 months.
Great also I am kinda new to the hobby and I was wondering why it is that in such an established tank you have ammonia? I thought that there is supposed to be 0 ammonia in every system to ensure the fish safety (sorry if I sound like an idiot right now)

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, it should be zero. However from what I have read, the Hanna checker is so sensitive that it can pick up the ammonia levels that haven't been converted by bacteria yet. I'm not entirely sure what kind of results I should expect from the checkers, hence the questions about the numbers lol.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you testing? After feeding? Typically, ammonia and nitrites should be zero. Unless maybe you're feeding all day long and those values are in constant fluctuation. Might want to test sometime hours between feedings just to see where everything lands. But if your tank looks good and your animals are all doing good I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Phosphates are little high at at .90 but that may change as soon as you get your sump up and running. Basically everything will shift a bit when add your sump in. More water, more filtration ect....

Salinity could be a little higher 1.024-1.026

The rest of your numbers look fine as far I can see. I pretty much use only Hanna checkers myself and look like you're getting accurate readings.

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I am going to let the sump run a few days and then will recheck mid day between feedings to ensure food isn't throwing off any numbers.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish expel ammonia through their respiration and fecal discharge. Its common to have a little ammonia in the tank when tested with sensitive equipment, but .34 sounds a bit high. Might be overwhelming your biological filter a bit. Hopefully it lowers once the sump is setup.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back