help with diagnosis of white spot on clown

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this clown for 11 years. All my fish just finished 90 days in QT (30 plus days of copper power @ 2.25 plus) while the DT went fallow because of ich and my clowns went back in the DT first. Of course as soon as I release them in the DT I see a spot on her tail fin. I'm pretty confident this isn't ich or velvet. Its too large to be ich and also a little too bright white. Almost appears shiny at moments. You can even see it from the other side of the almost black tail fin. Its been about 3 days now and still there so I don't think it s debris so I'm guessing its some kind bacterial infection. Looking for thoughts and hoping I can treat with something that is reef safe now that they are in 180 gallons with their nems again. There is a white spot on her face under the first band but its just her natural coloring. The one on the tailfin has some depth to it. The spot looks small here, but she's probably 4" so a large clown.
clown.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jtf74 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this clown for 11 years. All my fish just finished 90 days in QT (30 plus days of copper power @ 2.25 plus) while the DT went fallow because of ich and my clowns went back in the DT first. Of course as soon as I release them in the DT I see a spot on her tail fin. I'm pretty confident this isn't ich or velvet. Its too large to be ich and also a little too bright white. Almost appears shiny at moments. You can even see it from the other side of the almost black tail fin. Its been about 3 days now and still there so I don't think it s debris so I'm guessing its some kind bacterial infection. Looking for thoughts and hoping I can treat with something that is reef safe now that they are in 180 gallons with their nems again. There is a white spot on her face under the first band but its just her natural coloring. The one on the tailfin has some depth to it. The spot looks small here, but she's probably 4" so a large clown.
clown.jpg

That spot is too large to be ich or velvet. I wouldn't worry about it. It might be just a broken fin ray due to the fish being moved recently.

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot is too large to be ich or velvet. I wouldn't worry about it. It might be just a broken fin ray due to the fish being moved recently.
Ok. Thanks. I've got 6 other fish wanting to be moved over too and was hesitant to add them. I caught her in a plastic sieve so didn't use a net as fish always seems to get hung in them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. I've got 6 other fish wanting to be moved over too and was hesitant to add them. I caught her in a plastic sieve so didn't use a net as fish always seems to get hung in them.
A soft white net is safer than a hard plastic sieve or those rough green nets. Chasing the fish prior to capture is another way they can get injured.

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like I'm not in the clear and have multiple problems now. I'm seeing 3-4 spots now that do look like ich to me. Also, this same clown and an angel still in the QT this clown came out of both have yellow stringy very curly poop. Looks like the white spot on the fin may have gotten larger too. I don't understand how this is happening after 90 days fallow.

Attachments

• clown1.jpg
    clown1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • clown2.jpg
    clown2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 10
  • clown3.jpg
    clown3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well it looks like I'm not in the clear and have multiple problems now. I'm seeing 3-4 spots now that do look like ich to me. Also, this same clown and an angel still in the QT this clown came out of both have yellow stringy very curly poop. Looks like the white spot on the fin may have gotten larger too. I don't understand how this is happening after 90 days fallow.

Im not completely sold on ich but can be grains of sand which these fish due to their heavier slime coat often pick up. Ich moves every 24 hours. If spots multiply tomorrow, its ich.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really hope that is the case. Any thoughts on the yellow stringy poo?
Generally when fed flakes and mysis shrimp, it becomes gel like leaving substance in the stomach lining giving you this effect

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally when fed flakes and mysis shrimp, it becomes gel like leaving substance in the stomach lining giving you this effect
I have never seen this in the several years I have had them and now two different fish on the same day seems odd. I feed mysis but not flake.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d still hold off on an ich diagnosis for now. Your fallow period was twice as long as the minimum time needed for that. You’re certain that the fallow period was total? For example: Adding new invertebrates from a contaminated LFS tank during the fallow period can cause a break in the process. In other cases, I’ve had people tell me that they ran fallow “except for one fish I couldn’t catch” - of course, that isn’t fallow at all then.

Are you seeing any spots on the other fish yet?

Jay

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d still hold off on an ich diagnosis for now. Your fallow period was twice as long as the minimum time needed for that. You’re certain that the fallow period was total? For example: Adding new invertebrates from a contaminated LFS tank during the fallow period can cause a break in the process. In other cases, I’ve had people tell me that they ran fallow “except for one fish I couldn’t catch” - of course, that isn’t fallow at all then.

Are you seeing any spots on the other fish yet?

Jay
I think vetteguy was right. This morning the spots are gone and no new ones. Fingers crossed. No other fish with issues.
Very confident it was truly fallow. Nothing went into that dt tank except the original rock and sand I rinsed from the original infected dt .

Still wondering about the strange poo though. It was very curly and pretty bright yellow . Hopefully nothing to worry about

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

• Other.

Back