Help with diagnosis

Davechee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Could you help me diagnose what's wrong with my vlamingi? It's developed recently over the past week. All other fish in tank are okay. Pics below.

Thanks in advance.

DSC05088.JPG

DSC05089.JPG

DSC05090.JPG

DSC05091.JPG

DSC05092.JPG

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell if it is ick or hlle....the typical pattern looks like hlle....but the spots on the sides look like ick (photo 1)....hopefully
#melypr1985
#humblefish
can help

How long have you had the fish, what size tank, how long has it been running , what are your water parameters?

OP
OP
Davechee

Davechee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it is ich as this fish has been through previous ich and velvet outbreaks in my tank. The fish has been with me for more than 2 years now and has been one of the most hardy and resilient.

My current water is coppered and has been for the past 2 months. But pic 1 does seems to show ich.... I will go have a closer look again tomorrow.

If it's HLLE then that is plausible as my 2 blue tangs have HLLE. I have been trying to feed better food lately and this only surfaced this week, after it has been eating after better food.

Is lymphoctosis a possibility?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is a good idea but tends to exacerbate HLLE. So that is my bet as well.

Thanks for starting this in a thread!

@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current water is coppered and has been for the past 2 months. But pic 1 does seems to show ich.... I will go have a closer look again tomorrow.

It looks like you are treating with rocks present. Are you testing the Cu level daily to ensure it remains therapeutic?

OP
OP
Davechee

Davechee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just resurrecting this as I've a few additional queries / observations about HLLE.

(By the way, the vlamingi didn't make it. It died a day or so after I posted the pics. I have since removed copper from my water as the ich situation appears to have resolved but I lost a purple in similar fashion to the vlamingi very recently.)

1) Is a symptom of HLLE fluffy white growths along the head and lateral line? I know one of the common symptoms of HLLE is a pitted head but both my vlamingi and purple didn't have any pits; they had fluffy growths instead.

2) Also, the decline of both fish was very fast; almost like falling off a cliff. Even with the HLLE, they were eating very voraciously and appeared otherwise healthy apart from the ugly growths. Then the next day they're dead.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Is a symptom of HLLE fluffy white growths along the head and lateral line? I know one of the common symptoms of HLLE is a pitted head but both my vlamingi and purple didn't have any pits; they had fluffy growths instead.

That sounds more like a bacterial infection or possibly Lymphocystis: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/

2) Also, the decline of both fish was very fast; almost like falling off a cliff. Even with the HLLE, they were eating very voraciously and appeared otherwise healthy apart from the ugly growths. Then the next day they're dead.

Based on how fast your fish died, I would strongly suspect a gram negative bacterial infection: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

Only other disease which usually kills that fast is velvet: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
Davechee

Davechee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Have read your article Bob. Am pretty sure it's not velvet. From the pics I've seen I think it was haemorrhagic septicemia.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to possible gram negative bacterial infections. I had a mimic tang in three antibiotics that had a similar fuzzy growth on it before it finally stopped eating and just gave up :/ Nasty stuff

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back