help with dinoflagellates please !!!

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an outbreak of dinoflagellates in my new 90 gallon setup. it's not bad yet but i want to get on it fast and get rid of it before it gets out of control. Any one with experience with this problem? i here raising ph and cutting the light cycle works. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad thing about new setups is some if not all tanks will experience this issue. Along with Cyano, these are normal issues that need to run their course. You can increase water flow, cut back on photoperiod and manually remove it.. Usually it will run it's course & dissapear within a few weeks..
Patience my friend is the key to sucess in this hobby..

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on new tanks. I am in a similar boat, my sand bed is new so I am going through the cyno cycle. I have started to cut down on photo period and also doing manual removal. I also do dark cycle of about 40 hrs every 4-5 weeks

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard to cut light for at least a day or two and raise ph through kalk mix. i am thinking about buying a digi ph meter and going with a drip method on kalk. i want to beat this before it gets out of control is my thought. i have beaten cyano in my 28 before , but this seems to be a bit different from what i read.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
siphon out all that you can when doing weekly WC's..I battled dinoflagellates for 6 months with an all out Blitzkrieg of siphoning and WC's until I was finally able to see rid my tank of them completely..they are horrible...do as much research as you can find on the subject and then employ all various methods used. If they are indeed dinoflagellates you will notice that the longer the lights are on, the worse they get during the course of the photoperiod.

PS. cutting the lights is just a temporary solution, they will come back with a vengeance once you reestablish your normal photoperiod

Last edited:
OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha , how bad was your outbreak and did you try to raise ph ? it's not too bad yet and i scrubbed one piece of rock off and it's still gone , but i want to rid of the diatoms as well , so i think i am going to siphon and do a big water change then go with adjusting the ph to 8.3 or .4 for a month and see how it goes

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha , how bad was your outbreak and did you try to raise ph ? it's not too bad yet and i scrubbed one piece of rock off and it's still gone , but i want to rid of the diatoms as well , so i think i am going to siphon and do a big water change then go with adjusting the ph to 8.3 or .4 for a month and see how it goes

my Ph was between 8.1 and 8.3 at that time...thing about a dino bloom is all new tanks go thru them.... but... you really have to concentrate on keeping up with proper husbandry and maintenance to beat them and not get discouraged...keep at it

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back