Help with Disapearing 6 Lined Wrasse?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 6 lined wrasse yesterday for my aquarium. Because he is going in with two territorial clownfish, I decided to put him in one of those acrylic fish boxes suction cupped to the glass so that they could get used to him. He seemed really stressed out in the box with nowhere to hide, so I added a relatively large snail shell and some liverock rubble. This morning he seems to have disappeared. As far as I can tell, there are no holes even close to large enough for it to have fit through to escape the box, and the lid is on tight. Could he be inside the snail shell? I cannot see him in there from the opening and I've already tried dumping the water out of the shell, and he didn't come out with that water. Is it possible for them to get stuck? I know I should probably just leave everything be and hope he pops up, but this is wild. I've had fish disappear in the tank, but never in an acclimation box with like 5 small things. I could carefully cut the shell open to see if he is inside, but I'm not sure that's the right course of action.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible but unlikely. More than likely it is just hiding or in a part of the system that it isn't supposed to be.
Well it's in an acrylic acclimation box with a lid so I don't know how it would have gotten out to get somewhere else. Unless it somehow escaped, it has to get in the shell

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it must be a very big snail shell. I just can't picture a fish hiding in a snail shell lol

1696793322668.png

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use some bone cutters to gently break the shell open anyone? I don't want to continue stressing the fish if he is hiding out of stress but it's been in there all day so I'm getting worried it is stuck.

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked in the rock rubble? If it’s a decent size and has holes, he could be hiding in it… mine loves his hide-area in my liverock and retreats when he sees me, they are pretty small holes and he fits

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked in the rock rubble? If it’s a decent size and has holes, he could be hiding in it… mine loves his hide-area in my liverock and retreats when he sees me, they are pretty small holes and he fits
Yes I have quite thoroughly checked the rubble. He's definitely not in there

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use some bone cutters to gently break the shell open anyone? I don't want to continue stressing the fish if he is hiding out of stress but it's been in there all day so I'm getting worried it is stuck.
I don't think cutting the shell is a good idea. I doubt he would get himself into a place he couldn't get out of.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid this if your worried, how big small is this guy, does your rubble/rock cage suit it.
I would probably just leave it alone and check tomorrow, it will be more beneficial just to place eyes on instead of hands on, it's new to you and you want to see it in its full glory. Give the guy a chance to at least see your face and get over that nightmare lol :) :)

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid this if your worried, how big small is this guy, does your rubble/rock cage suit it.
I would probably just leave it alone and check tomorrow, it will be more beneficial just to place eyes on instead of hands on, it's new to you and you want to see it in its full glory. Give the guy a chance to at least see your face and get over that nightmare lol :) :)
The little guy is very small, even for a 6 line. Probably just under half an inch long. The acclimation box setup isn't ideal for him, but I didn't want the clownfish to destroy him immediately. I made that mistake when adding fish to another tank with a territorial cocoa damselfish. I'm sure he is super stressed and I don't mind that he is hiding, but I am concerned about the fact that he is so deep in the shell that I cannot even see his tail or head. I'll give him another day I guess, and if he comes out I'll leave him alone and let him out of the box and remove that stupid shell...

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little guy is very small, even for a 6 line. Probably just under half an inch long. The acclimation box setup isn't ideal for him, but I didn't want the clownfish to destroy him immediately. I made that mistake when adding fish to another tank with a territorial cocoa damselfish. I'm sure he is super stressed and I don't mind that he is hiding, but I am concerned about the fact that he is so deep in the shell that I cannot even see his tail or head. I'll give him another day I guess, and if he comes out I'll leave him alone and let him out of the box and remove that stupid shell...
Yes, I doubt it will starve, learn from past mistakes and adjust. I forgot how tiny fish can be when first adding

Hawkeyesown11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines sleep in a mucous cocoon. Could just be sleeping in the shell. I never knew where my sixline was sleeping, as they can fit in tiny spaces.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed a nitrate spike and decided to break the shell open. Definitely dead. I don't know if it got stuck and died or decided to go in there because it was already dying, but either way I am very disappointed. I was very careful about acclimation so it wasn't shock, so I'm just hoping it was stress and not disease. He was already hiding in the fish store and only came out when I asked to see it eat, so it could be either one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back