Help with Dishwasher Repair - Not Filling with Water

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one of the miniature 18" wide dishwashers in our small kitchen.

The dishwasher has a hard time pushing water into the sprayers.

I replaced the water inlet valve but the problem wasn't resolved.

If I partially fill the dishwater (say 10-15 seconds with hot water) with the hose from my sink, then the dishwasher starts up and works like a champ. Basically we have to prime the washer for it to work, sometimes it does a perfect job and other times it has trouble mid cycle.

Could this be a float switch issue?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one of the miniature 18" wide dishwashers in our small kitchen.

The dishwasher has a hard time pushing water into the sprayers.

I replaced the water inlet valve but the problem wasn't resolved.

If I partially fill the dishwater (say 10-15 seconds with hot water) with the hose from my sink, then the dishwasher starts up and works like a champ. Basically we have to prime the washer for it to work, sometimes it does a perfect job and other times it has trouble mid cycle.

Could this be a float switch issue?
fill it with a gal vinegar of and hot water and run it.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep try the vinegar, also taking the blades off and making sure the holes aren't clogged could help. I was having an issue with mine not spraying so I took the blades off and cleaned them real good and it did the trick:)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sometimes has that problem and I have to clean the water flow switch which controls how much water goes into the thing. Mine is near the front left of the door but they can put them anywhere.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL, we only use that to hold dishes until they are 100% dry before putting them in the cabinet (typical Asian huh). I tried to use it once a month, then once a year so it won't go bad.... I don't think I have run mine for the last 2-3 years.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! I'll try the vinegar, being a reefer I have an extra gallon of vinegar sitting around, so I'll definitely give that a shot.

I'm not sure if mine has blades? I've opened up the drain area but didn't see any.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! I'll try the vinegar, being a reefer I have an extra gallon of vinegar sitting around, so I'll definitely give that a shot.

I'm not sure if mine has blades? I've opened up the drain area but didn't see any.
the big sprayers like fa n blades. they do gut gunked up. sounds like a clog close to the inlet, so faulty float(thinks its full) or slow clogged inlet or it may have a pump that pulls the water in thats going bad or clogged. Ususally hard water or mineral build up.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big sprayers like fa n blades. they do gut gunked up. sounds like a clog close to the inlet, so faulty float(thinks its full) or slow clogged inlet or it may have a pump that pulls the water in thats going bad or clogged. Ususally hard water or mineral build up.

OK ran with vinegar last night, let it soak mid cycle for while before it drained. The thing is it runs like a champ once it's going! But the same issue still persists, the pump cannot prime itself. I could try CLR or something else may? Could be a gasket, bad impeller?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ran with vinegar last night, let it soak mid cycle for while before it drained. The thing is it runs like a champ once it's going! But the same issue still persists, the pump cannot prime itself. I could try CLR or something else may? Could be a gasket, bad impeller?
Clr does the same as vinegar possibly a little stronger. it is still possible the float is stuck or clogged.
how handy are you? at this point its time to open the patient up. IMO its a possible clog, stuck sensor, dirty sensor or sensor connection, dirty clogged solenoid/valve or connection.
Clr or vinegar in the washer its self is a first step. it cleans all the stuff float valve blades main pump drain, it doesn not clean the water inlet, inlet solenoid or valve. or of you have one inlet pump.
also test that there is water pressure to the inlet and that it has not become clogged.

couple of dishwasher's.
http://edisontechcenter.org/Dishwashers.html

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2006/06/08/anatomy-of-a-whirlpool-kitchenaid-kenmore-dishwasher/

shut off all power when workin on AC power. Look closely at the capacitor in the pic, It holds voltage and will shock the money beans right out of you , so avoid it. dont mess with it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go here, I use this site all the time. http://www.repairclinic.com/ put the model # in and look for the issues and they have videos. I have save a bunch repairing my refrigerator and my old dish washer.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go here, I use this site all the time. http://www.repairclinic.com/ put the model # in and look for the issues and they have videos. I have save a bunch repairing my refrigerator and my old dish washer.

That's funny I just watched one of their videos a few minutes ago. Looks like the float switch replacement is really easy. Going to give that a shot next!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny I just watched one of their videos a few minutes ago. Looks like the float switch replacement is really easy. Going to give that a shot next!
I have an older fridge and I think I saved over $500 in labor and $400 in parts. It is well worth giving a shot. We purchase our new dishwasher at Sears scratch and dent. The new one is top of the line Kenmoreelete for $650, that is another option.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try manually lifting the float switch up and down to make sure it is free and making contact with the sensors?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new washer will be a last resort above a repair person. Hoping to fix this myself.
Did you try manually lifting the float switch up and down to make sure it is free and making contact with the sensors?

Need to track down the float switch, I think I found it under the dishwasher but I can't see it from inside.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is inside the dishwasher (on all dishwashers I have ever seen). It is that mushroom looking thing on the bottom.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back