Help with lighting schedule

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a micmol thor 60w (blue) above my blue marine reef 60 (see pictures)
Currently i run the schedule you i added in the pictures.

But for some reason my first new coral (silunaria sp.) is closed, is my schedule too strong or faulty? Is there anyone who can direct me in the wrong direction on how to experiment with the lighting to get it optimal?

Thank you!!

IMG_9581.jpeg IMG_9582.jpeg IMG_9583.jpeg IMG_9579.png IMG_9580.png

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light schedule looks fine. This isn’t really about your lighting but about an established reef vs a new (sterile) reef in the making. Sinularias are a relatively easy soft coral to own, grow and flourish. Don’t be too impatient with your tank as you introduce more and more life and livestock to it which will help to establish it. Nice tank and coral btw.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light schedule looks fine. This isn’t really about your lighting but about an established reef vs a new (sterile) reef in the making. Sinularias are a relatively easy soft coral to own, grow and flourish. Don’t be too impatient with your tank as you introduce more and more life and livestock to it which will help to establish it. Nice tank and coral btw.
I was planning on waiting another 2 weeks before adding more, just to make sure this goes well, theres this coral, a small goby, cleaning shrimp & some snails in the tank atm.

Are you sure i shouldn’t be worried that it’s not open? I know they “shed” from time to time, he has plenty of current to remove the shed tho

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on waiting another 2 weeks before adding more, just to make sure this goes well, theres this coral, a small goby, cleaning shrimp & some snails in the tank atm.

Are you sure i shouldn’t be worried that it’s not open? I know they “shed” from time to time, he has plenty of current to remove the shed tho
Watch and learn. There’s really nothing you can do. As long as ammonia and nitrites are non existent. Temps good. Salt level is at a reef sustainable level. You’re fine! Enjoy

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch and learn. There’s really nothing you can do. As long as ammonia and nitrites are non existent. Temps good. Salt level is at a reef sustainable level. You’re fine! Enjoy
Is there any way to make sure my light isn’t too strong for my coral atm?

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure doesn’t appear to be. 18” to 20” yes? And not directly under the light. Should be good. But if you suspect that possibility crank it down 10-20 percent. It won’t hurt.
18 to 20 indeed, it should be positioned perfectly. I’m just gonna wait it out. Should i be stocking my tank faster? According to your first reply?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I have a micmol thor 60w (blue) above my blue marine reef 60 (see pictures)
Currently i run the schedule you i added in the pictures.

But for some reason my first new coral (silunaria sp.) is closed, is my schedule too strong or faulty? Is there anyone who can direct me in the wrong direction on how to experiment with the lighting to get it optimal?

Thank you!!

IMG_9581.jpeg IMG_9582.jpeg IMG_9583.jpeg IMG_9579.png IMG_9580.png
Light schedule looks good but often 60wt is just not enough. Minimum best at 95wt and preferably 110-165wt
Also bring that red way down which promotes algae

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light schedule looks good but often 60wt is just not enough. Minimum best at 95wt and preferably 110-165wt
Also bring that red way down which promotes algae
I’m not planning on keeping sps or so, only soft corals & maybe some easy LPS if possible.

Thanks for the tip about the red!

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet. Mushrooms, leathers even photosynthetic gorgonians would be great additions. Look, truth be told, we all lose stuff. But it’s far rarer in an established tank.
Gotta start somewhere i bet, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Let’s see how it works out.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trust your own eyes with lighting as well. It’s hard to tell by photos if you’ve got say too much blue. Which your photos show that. My Kessels are at 100 % blue but I have other light that provide needed whites. Corals are adaptable and will adapt to how you would like your tank lighting to look.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Glowurm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set my first tank up and was tempted to hire a PAR meter, make note of the PAR on all my rock work based on my lighting schedule to determine coral placements etc....

I am in the UK and can hire one for £35 for the week. Seems like a small investment given it might help me to avoid potential headaches down the road.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set my first tank up and was tempted to hire a PAR meter, make note of the PAR on all my rock work based on my lighting schedule to determine coral placements etc....

I am in the UK and can hire one for £35 for the week. Seems like a small investment given it might help me to avoid potential headaches down the road.
Yeah i'm thinking about doing the same, gonna ask my LFS if they have one for hire otherwise i can rent one online at a webshop i trust.

OP
OP
FuriuzReef

FuriuzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow is in safe range- would not go much higher
Others who have the same light told me the yellow should be around 40-50% because it promotes coral grow.
I have added pictures from the manufacturer, but i'm having trouble understanding it tbh.
Could you maybe help point me in the wrong direction?

Attachments

• bluepar.jpg
    bluepar.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 5
  • thorbl4.jpg
    thorbl4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 5

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 76.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 21 10.4%
Back