Help with math for reducing alkalinity??

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I acquired some free salt...reef crystals. I measured the alk at 12.3. I need to get a water change done this weekend. The alk in my tank is 8.4ish. How much muratic acid do I need to lower 20g @ 12.3, to 8.4? I've looked at the threads Randy has posted but I don't trust my math and don't want to overshoot it! Also, I understand this will lower my ph so as long as I aerate the water and wait for the pH to come up to normal...I should be good at that point, yes? (Also the lady at Ace told me they have "regular" muratic acid as well as "user friendly" muratic acid) I'm assuming the regular stuff is better so thats what I'm going to get.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired some free salt...reef crystals. I measured the alk at 12.3. I need to get a water change done this weekend. The alk in my tank is 8.4ish. How much muratic acid do I need to lower 20g @ 12.3, to 8.4? I've looked at the threads Randy has posted but I don't trust my math and don't want to overshoot it! Also, I understand this will lower my ph so as long as I aerate the water and wait for the pH to come up to normal...I should be good at that point, yes? (Also the lady at Ace told me they have "regular" muratic acid as well as "user friendly" muratic acid) I'm assuming the regular stuff is better so thats what I'm going to get.
Thats interesting im sorry I have no information for you, but I'd love to follow along on this, I know some great help is coming soon!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I were doing a 10% wc I wouldn't be worried too much about the difference but I'm getting ready to go out of town next weekend and need to accomplish a couple of large (30-40%) changes... figured it would be best to match levels

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well after a little more digging i found an old post from the reef tank forum... this person said, according to one of Randy's formulas he came across, adding 1/11,000 of the water volume will lower alk by 1 meq/l = 2.8 dkH. DISCLAIMER: I'm going off someone else's interpretation of Randy's formula, so I'm just trusting it blindly. Anyway I'm trying to lower alk for 20g of water so...20g = 75.7 l = 75700 ml - 75700/11000 = 6.8 ml... which should bring my alk to 9.5. Anyway, I need to get this going because I need this wc done by tomorrow. Here's to hoping I calculated this correctly! I'll post the results later

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give recipes here:

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I give recipes here:

Yep thanks Randy. I found the first post on sodium bisulfate and was a little confused due to my stupidity, not your explanation. I didn't see the second one until just now, which is more applicable to my situation. Reefing with ADHD is a little daunting sometimes. I try to do my best and not bother everyone with questions that have already been answered.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I give recipes here:

With adequate aeration should I be able to bring the pH back up within 24 hrs?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep thanks Randy. I found the first post on sodium bisulfate and was a little confused due to my stupidity, not your explanation. I didn't see the second one until just now, which is more applicable to my situation. Reefing with ADHD is a little daunting sometimes. I try to do my best and not bother everyone with questions that have already been answered.
I've also dealt with ADD my entire life. It's never stupid to ask questions. Use the search bar first, but it would be far more stupid to just guess and not reach out for help. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back