Help with PhytoPlankton and Copepods???

sefrayser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading and watching vids all day. I want to make my own Phytoplankton and then harvest some Copepods. I have the "just" of what equipment I need and parameters of the water. My question is, What and where do I get the starter. I dont know what type of Phyto and what fertilizer to get. I have seen where people use Miracle Grow.....I dont really want to try that. Any links or info will be greatley appreciated.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've never cultured either of them so I'm gonna give this a bump for ya and see if anything comes up.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the phyto, I'd get nannochloropsis occulata. It is possible to grow/use a mixture of other species to improve the nutritional value somewhat, but nannochloropsis is probably the best as a stand alone feed. Florida aqua farms sells good starter cultures, if you can't get some from a local.

papagimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through Florida Aqua Farms for my phyto cultures and equipment before, very good results. The culturing itself is rather simple. I also prefer to get a few different strains and then when dosing my tank, mix em up a phyto cocktail. They sell the algae fertilizer, which is what I use, but you can make the same stuff, plenty of DIY recipes floating around the web. Alternatively, you can start a culture from using products like DT's live phytoplankton but it's kinda a crapshoot as to what strain you'll end up with. The nanno is very opportunisitic but that's no guarantee. Last time i spoke to meleve on the subject of phyto, he said he was still using miracle grow fertilizer with great results (this was several years back) but I read enough potentially bad things about it, I chose to play it safer and get algae specific stuff through FAF.

for the actual strains, I prefered to use Chlorella, Tetraselmis, and T. iso, no particular reason other than variety. Tetra is a larger motile phyto while the others are bit smaller and non motile. (actually i'd have to double check, pretty sure t iso is nonmotile but the chlorella may be, or i'm thinking nanno... FAF site will say lol)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back