Heniochus acuminatus with SPS (Acropora)

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about Heniochus acuminatus (black & white bannerfish). They are universally considered not reef safe, but I'm having difficulty determining what kind of reef they are unsafe in. Do they eat SPS, LPS, and various softies, or only SPS or LPS or softies? Do they eat peppermint shrimp, crabs, etc? Any information about what kinds of reefs they are dangerous with would be appreciated.

Thanks.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about Heniochus acuminatus (black & white bannerfish). They are universally considered not reef safe, but I'm having difficulty determining what kind of reef they are unsafe in. Do they eat SPS, LPS, and various softies, or only SPS or LPS or softies? Do they eat peppermint shrimp, crabs, etc? Any information about what kinds of reefs they are dangerous with would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I had one beat up a puffer fish to death and he was so determined...I didnt have corals at the time but based on behavior they will tear down inverts for sure...this kind of fish is determined once it sets its mind on something its going to do it.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 that I had for 5 or 6 years in my reef. The only corals they would eat were zoas and palys. Eventually they did rip a few heads of a Duncan and that's when I gave them to a friend for his fowlr. But they should be fine with sps, they never bothered my euphillia, and I would just use caution with other LPS.

OP
OP
Seamore2001

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Dragonsreef. That kind of matches what I was guessing when I saw comments about them eating "meaty" corals.

@aquakj - thanks for that - makes me think that while one might be fine with the corals, the other inhabitants in the tank could definitely be at risk. I'm thinking I'll pass on this one.

Appreciate the feedback!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back