Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any localized treatment? There is a small colony of aiptasia lookalike hydroids growing at the base of my leather and do not want to treat the entire tank. Any thoughts?

solo9t9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the products I've been looking at
Screenshot_20240121-133123_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20240121-133106_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20240121-133012_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240121-132928_Chrome.jpg

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it (and posted about it on this forum) for Blue Clove Polyps - had to do it 3x actually as they came back. What is really interesting is that I used it on 1 tank and 3 days later, the a seam on the tank failed (not related, a seam on a Red Sea 750 XXL ) and had to rescue lots of live rock from that tank by moving it to another tank. In the 2nd tank I had lots of Green Star Polyps (GSP) that i wasn't very fond of. About a week later, all GSP was gone, just from the residual Fenbendazole in the live rock. All other softies and inverts were fine. Score 1 for the team in an otherwise difficult time for my tanks.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a summary of the current recommended product & dosing protocol?
Hi there. I've been battling BCP for some time and have dosed Fenbendazole 3x to 2 different tanks. From my experience, it's best to hit them a little harder than the recommended dose. The most reliable info on dosage (in my opinion) is from Max Drago in a WP blog post here https://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/

Summary of his instructions:

– Buy 1 gram packets of Safe-Guard dewormer (22.2% Fenbendazole). Grind it into very fine powder and mix into 1 gallon of water. This will make 222mg/gal of Fenbendazole.

Dosage: Recommend dosage is 2mg per gallon of water to be treated (half dose would be 1mg per gallon). A metric dosage would .5mg per Liter (half dose would be .25mg per Liter).

Examples:
– 1 gallon of water mixed with 1gm 22.2% powder, will treat 111 gallons.

You can purchase the Safe-Guard on Amazon btw. Good luck.

One more thing, if you only have a small patch of BCP, it's probably best to just hit that spot with something like F Aiptasia to avoid any side effects from the Fenbendazole (like algae outbreaks, etc).

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I've been battling BCP for some time and have dosed Fenbendazole 3x to 2 different tanks. From my experience, it's best to hit them a little harder than the recommended dose. The most reliable info on dosage (in my opinion) is from Max Drago in a WP blog post here https://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/

Summary of his instructions:

– Buy 1 gram packets of Safe-Guard dewormer (22.2% Fenbendazole). Grind it into very fine powder and mix into 1 gallon of water. This will make 222mg/gal of Fenbendazole.

Dosage: Recommend dosage is 2mg per gallon of water to be treated (half dose would be 1mg per gallon). A metric dosage would .5mg per Liter (half dose would be .25mg per Liter).

Examples:
– 1 gallon of water mixed with 1gm 22.2% powder, will treat 111 gallons.

You can purchase the Safe-Guard on Amazon btw. Good luck.

One more thing, if you only have a small patch of BCP, it's probably best to just hit that spot with something like F Aiptasia to avoid any side effects from the Fenbendazole (like algae outbreaks, etc).
Thanks, I’m dealing with hydroids but hopefully the protocol is the same. I’ve done it before but it was years ago and I don’t remember the dose and the product I used is no longer available.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my this is still open! I see people are still using the good ol Fenben. As always hold great caution when deciding to use it as it is potent against many things in your tanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back