Hermit crab molt or carcass

Jameswebb96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m completely new to all this so thought I’d get a second opinion

I checked last night all three hermit crabs was out and about doing what they do.

this morning whilst doing my checks I found only one crabs carcass or molt what do you guys think?

85C45E29-138B-4B44-9369-4AD14138BA1D.jpeg

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a molt. I find them with my emerald crabs and we save them. We have several bowls full of shells from the beach and we place them on the top.

OP
OP
J

Jameswebb96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, but my guess is a molt. Crustaceans may hide out for a couple days after molting so it may be a bit before you know for sure
I have 3 hermit I rarely see two of them only really at night if I ever check the tank.

hopefully it’s just a molt,they seemed completely fine last night anyways.

OP
OP
J

Jameswebb96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a molt. I find them with my emerald crabs and we save them. We have several bowls full of shells from the beach and we place them on the top.
Well fingers crossed I haven’t seen the shell anywhere so I assume he/she is hiding now

OP
OP
J

Jameswebb96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to whoever decides to come back here.

All 3 hermit crabs are alive and good came out as the lights went out wondering around :)

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to whoever decides to come back here.

All 3 hermit crabs are alive and good came out as the lights went out wondering around :)
I've got 2 giant blue legged HC in 2 different tanks and there have been times I swore one or the other was dead only to have them re-appear days later looking great. They can certainly fool you with the molting.

OP
OP
J

Jameswebb96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 giant blue legged HC in 2 different tanks and there have been times I swore one or the other was dead only to have them re-appear days later looking great. They can certainly fool you with the molting.
It was definitely a shocker in the morning, but looks like I was fooled.

Back