Hi Everyone

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Really new to reef and looking forward to learning much more. Also very much into DIY. I'd rather build it than buy it to be honest. Started with a 75 gallon Aqueon glass cage, 486gph pump on the sump filtering the water thru Seachem Matrix, bag of carbon, skimmer. Also have a 3100 gph pump on closed loop circulation. I went old school with this build because I had the pumps laying around and did not really have the money to buy another wave maker, the Ecotech MP40 on my cichlid tank broke my budget for a few months. I put the california style overflow box in the tank myself. Learning to cut glass was easier than I expected. Re-purposed a couple of old end tables for the stand and a 30g tall tank for the sump (to be replaced with a 20 long sooner or later). I'll apologize for the blue pictures now, I can't figure out how to set a filter right on my cellphone.

Current inhabitants include;
3 zoa frags, green star, green mushroom frag, acan frag, duncan frag, rose bubble tip anemone,
2 ocellarus clowns, pygmy cherub angel, neon dottyback and a royal gramma.
12 snails, 6 hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp.
Tank is about 7 weeks old I guess, 30% water change 2x weekly still. will taper back to once a week in another 3 ior 4 weeks.

Yeah, I should probably mention I am already looking at a 7' x2' x2' tank to upgrade the reef tank. Why? My first tank was a 55g cichlid tank, I went to a 300g from there, built a wall in front of it. I love Big Tanks, you can do so much with them.
20230224_110928.jpg 20230125_115756.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone. Really new to reef and looking forward to learning much more. Also very much into DIY. I'd rather build it than buy it to be honest. Started with a 75 gallon Aqueon glass cage, 486gph pump on the sump filtering the water thru Seachem Matrix, bag of carbon, skimmer. Also have a 3100 gph pump on closed loop circulation. I went old school with this build because I had the pumps laying around and did not really have the money to buy another wave maker, the Echotech MP40 on my cichlid tank broke my budget for a few months. I put the california style overflow box in the tank myself. Learning to cut glass was easier than I expected. Re-purposed a couple of old end tables for the stand and a 30g tall tank for the sump (to be replaced with a 20 long sooner or later). I'll apologize for the blue pictures now, I can't figure out how to set a filter right on my cellphone.

Current inhabitants include;
3 zoa frags, green star, green mushroom frag, acan frag, duncan frag, rose bubble tip anemone,
2 ocellarus clowns, pygmy cherub angel, neon dottyback and a royal gramma.
12 snails, 6 hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp.
Tank is about 7 weeks old I guess, 30% water change 2x weekly still. will taper back to once a week in another 3 ior 4 weeks.

Yeah, I should probably mention I am already looking at a 7' x2' x2' tank to upgrade the reef tank. Why? My first tank was a 55g cichlid tank, I went to a 300g from there, built a wall in front of it. I love Big Tanks, you can do so much with them.
20230224_110928.jpg 20230125_115756.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Being into DIY, this is the place for you. There's a ton of knowledgeable people here that do all kinds of amazing and interesting DIY project threads.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 119 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back