Hiding Blue Hippo Tang

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had a tang act like a total scaredy cat and hide all of the time? We've had three tangs for about a year in our 125 gallon reef tank: a yellow, cole, and blue hippo. They are all around the same size and always gotten along. About a month ago we added a Fiji foxface to help with a growing sponge problem (which he totally took care of within a few days!), and ever since the blue hippo has been in hiding. She wedges herself between the rocks, and we can only spot her if we go looking for her. We never see her swim or eat anymore. The yellow tang pics on the foxface a bit, but not extreme. The foxface just minds his own business and leaves everyone alone.

Anyone have any ideas? From the little we can see, she seams healthy. Just wants to hid all of the time. She is such a pretty fish, I hate that we never see her anymore.

Thanks!

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my observations hippo tangs are notoriously skittish, almost as much of drama queens as foxfaces. However, with that in mind it is always good to keep an eye out for any signs of illness or injury.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues on this course it will quickly end in death. I would remove the new fish and see if anything changes in its behavior.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's coming out to eat and you notice no skirmishes between the Blue tang and fox face, I would leave him in there and let him get adjusted.

Blue Hippo Tangs get spooked easily if you're constantly doing fast moments in and around the tank. They can eventually get used to it though. My did

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's coming out to eat and you notice no skirmishes between the Blue tang and fox face, I would leave him in there and let him get adjusted.

Blue Hippo Tangs get spooked easily if you're constantly doing fast moments in and around the tank. They can eventually get used to it though. My did
Its already been a month...

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues on this course it will quickly end in death. I would remove the new fish and see if anything changes in its behavior.
unfortunately for the tang, the foxface is much more important to our tank. We had a huge outbreak of ugly sponge that he has taken care of. And there is no way to catch the tang, so she'll just have to get over it!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying get rid of the foxface. If you could separate the two (foxface in temporary QT) then see if the tang starts to recover. If it does, you know its not an illness or something like that. Maybe find a new home the tang at that point.
Regardless of what you do, good luck.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back